PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Japanese Chisels

Jim Young
03-21-2005, 7:38 PM
How? I have the Tormek equipment, would this be OK? I'm not much on sharpening with oil or water stones. Since the Japanes tool sites show lots of stones I was wondering if there may be something wrong with doing it the electrical way.

Richard Wolf
03-21-2005, 8:28 PM
Jim, I use the tormek to sharpen my Japanese chisels, but you must lap the back first to remove some of the hollow if you are getting close to it. You can use the side of the Tormek wheel to get a good start on the back and finish it off with a water stone.

Richard

Brent Smith
03-21-2005, 9:41 PM
Jim,
With the exception of running into the hollow on the back,as Richard pointed out,you could use a Tormek to sharpen your chisels.Although I wouldn't suggest using the leather wheel for honing,I'd worry about rounding over.You won't get as keen an edge as you would on waterstones using this method.Personally,I prefer waterstones for my Japanese chisels(I just feel more control over the process).I would suggest that after using the Tormek that you finish on an 8000 grit waterstone to get the edge that your chisel is capable of,if you want to go a step further you can go to a strop charged with honing compound(Lee Valley has a good one).
Brent

Mark Singer
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I have the Tormek....but I never use it on Japanese chisels. Those I do with waterstones. I use the Shapton now and before I used the King stones

Steven Wilson
03-22-2005, 1:15 AM
I have the Tormek and would only consider using it to establish a new bevel angle on my japaneese chisels. I use Shapton stones for chisels and plane irons, they cut metal quickly and you can obtain a much keener edge than you will ever accomplish on a Tormek.

Derek Cohen
03-22-2005, 7:42 AM
As Mark said, Japanese chisels should be sharpened with flat bevels on waterstones. The Tormek will produce a hollow grind and weaken the thin hard steel edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Young
03-22-2005, 8:43 AM
Great thread. I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the answers. Would hate to pop for these expensive tools and then destroy them when sharpening.

Stephen Dalfollo-Daley
03-22-2005, 4:50 PM
Jim,

I look forward to hearing which chisels you end up with...let us know...