PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Screws in Cherry?

Russ Filtz
03-21-2005, 5:48 PM
Just wondering which screws to use for Cherry, Fine or Coarse? I'm thinking coarse as the wood seems to be a little soft.

Ray Petri
03-21-2005, 6:27 PM
I've used the fine in cherry and work fine. Made quite a few face frames and always used the fine screws.

John Lucas
03-21-2005, 6:48 PM
fine 1 1/4" are for hard woods (3/4" stock). A hint: be careful with power driver. Stop when first in and then finish tighten by hand. Easy to strip the wood threads with so little screw into the other piece.

Richard Wolf
03-21-2005, 8:17 PM
Russ, cherry is a hardwood, use the fine screws.

Richard

Jay Knepper
03-21-2005, 8:27 PM
Since you are working with $6/bf timber, I'll caution not to use Kreg screws near to the end of the receiving board (the piece that you have not drilled). The screws have a good chance of splitting the receiving piece if placed too near to the end.

Russ Filtz
03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks, I'll go fine then. I realized Cherry is a hardwood, but you can't always go by that, as some hard "softwoods" are harder than soft "hardwoods". The Cherry I'm working seems softer than usual and is definitely softer than maple or oak, which I thought the fine screws were really for.

Oh, and this cherry is all 30% off 30" or less shorts I got at Owl Lumber! Just making some simple game storage cases for the kids.

Greg Heppeard
03-22-2005, 8:39 AM
If the fine thread screws start to strip out, go to the coarse. I've used coarse in hard maple and the only problem I had was breaking a couple of the screws. I just turned the torque down on my driver and they worked well.

Steve Clardy
03-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I use the hi-lo screws from Quickscrew co. Multi-purpose for soft and hardwoods. Don't have to stock all threads that way.