PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece finish

Dale Cruea
02-23-2012, 3:19 PM
Has anyone used Masterpiece finish from Highland Woodworking?

Sounds like a nice 3 step finish.

Mike Lipke
04-19-2012, 8:38 AM
Bump. I am curious as well. Looks like long drying times.

Prashun Patel
04-19-2012, 9:29 AM
Have not tried it, but it just looks like a fancy oil and wax finish. Since an oil/wax finish is about the easiest thing to apply, I'm not sure why one would need to pay a premium for this. On the other hand, I love Charles Brock.

Scott Holmes
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Oil wax finishes provide almost no protection against standing water and water vapor. They are easy to renew but will need frequent upkeep and maintenance. For an art item on a shelf it would be fine for a dinning table not a chance.

I recently turned down a dining table refinishing job that was a colored wax and oil finish from the factory...They wanted me to "fix" it. They said I was too expensive. I did not offer to fix it I was going to strip it and refinish it.

Prashun Patel
04-19-2012, 11:07 AM
The ad for this finish says NOT to use it high-use or liquid-bearing surfaces. So, it's for art style pieces. I think it's primarily intended as a finish for a Maloof style rocker, since it was put out with Charles Brock. This type of piece is half art half furniture, so IMHO, it'll work fine.

The traditional Maloof finish is oil+varnish followed by oil+wax.

However, in one version of his video, Brock himself (as did I) used Waterlox (a pure varnish) to wonderful effect on his rocker. If yr goal is to get a handrubbed looking finish, I guess I'm saying there are other ways that provide more durability (varnish or oil/varnish) or are at least cheaper (make yr own oil/wax).

It is also my non-scientific non-pro opinion that making yr own oil wax might even be superior to using a commercial oil/wax which advertises itself as "low voc". A low voc wax might be either too hard out of the can to apply easily, or if soft, may not harden up to buffability as quickly as you're used to.

Howard Acheson
04-19-2012, 1:52 PM
It seems to be very similar to Maloof finish. While nice for museum or furniture in protected spots, it will be deficient in high activity applications.