PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw Gloat and questions

Bill Lewis
03-21-2005, 5:03 PM
Well on Friday I took delivery of the new Unisaw (RT 50" unifence), I mentioned this earlier in the CWA (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18215) post. I was told awhile back that I needed to post a picture to get credit for a post, so I am including one. Don't tell me it has to be put together too! I must wait for the mobile base before I can do that.
As I mentioned in the previous post there was some vibration even after tightening the belts. maybe I'll take the suggestion and call delta for some new ones, but it begs the question, has anyone ever put triple link belts on their Unisaw? I had them on my contractor saw (delta 34-444). The wings were both CI so it was pretty stable with little to no vibration except on startup on shutdown. The link belts did eliminate those type of vibrations. Just curious.
Secondly, It's loud. Granted, I have the motor cover off. Adding the rest of the stuff, wings, table board etc, might quiet it down further to a degree. Anyway I had a thought on this too. how about adding Dynamat to the interior of the cabinet. Dynamat is a dense self adhesive elastomeric material that is used for sound deadening cars. Particularly for aftermarket stereo system installations. It's foil faced on the exposed side so it would have very little dust adhesion. Again, just a thought.
Thirdly, Dust collection. Even though it's a cabinet saw, would it benefit to close up some of the existing holes in the cabinet base so that the only openings would be the throat plate? There are some large openings at the saw top attachment points. Son't know if this would be too restrictive, or if there would be any gain at all. Maybe I'll try it one day just to see, and report back. That is, after the mobile base gets here.

John Lucas
03-21-2005, 5:35 PM
Congrats on the Unisaw. I love mine. It troubles me that you have vibration of that sort and loudness. I have no idea why but before you install your fixes, I would try to lessen both rather than to cover up. I hope others on this forum will give you better incite... I think it should purr though. If you got from dealer, get them involved. If not get Delta involved.

Mike Cutler
03-21-2005, 6:06 PM
Bill. I'd put it all together first before I modified anything. Make sure all the bolts are tightened and the motor is aligned properly. In what respect is it loud? The Unisaws I've used all have a higher pitched whistle that I can hear, and there is a bass rumble of sorts from the motor and the skin of the machine.
If it still seems loud, I'd do as John suggested and call the dealer, or Delta.
By the way, congrats on the new saw, and I think you do have to post a completed assembly pic, with sawdust on the saw for credit. :D

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 6:33 PM
Bill, without a blade, my Unisaw is very quiet and has always run smooth. As mentioned, I would assemble everything and if it’s not right, then call your dealer before making any changes.
The dust collection on a Unisaw is pretty good. You’ll get a little dust coming out of the front angle adjustment cutout and a very little coming from the gap between the top & the cabinet but that’s about it. If you seal everything up, you will starve your DC and likely burn up it’s motor.

lou sansone
03-21-2005, 6:45 PM
ditto on what all the other guys have said.... Nice saw and I think once you get it all together it will settle down. best of luck

lou

Brent Smith
03-21-2005, 6:57 PM
Bill,
Great saw, you're really going to enjoy using it. I'd ,also ,like to hear from anyone who has used link belts in a unisaw.I've been thinking about doing it for years, but don't know if it would make that much of a difference to a 3 belt system.
Brent

Michael Pfau
03-21-2005, 8:02 PM
Hi Bill, I have the unisaw 30" and love it. I think once you really get it set up, the noise will go down. Mine is very smooth and quiet. I love it!

Bill Lewis
03-21-2005, 8:12 PM
Thanks for all the input! I will certainly put the whole thing together before I do any modifications. I'd be willing to bet that the double wall construction of the motor cover will actually provide a great deal of noise abatement. Since I only briefly ran it a couple of times, wide open as you see it, it was alot louder than my CS. Oh and don't worry, it'll be gettin' dusty as soon as possible.

JayStPeter
03-21-2005, 8:31 PM
I think the "set" belts and vibration add to the noise. The rumble part will go away. I think the loudest part is the sound of the blade ripping at the air.

I know Mark Goodall (happywoodworking.com) has lined the interiors of his machine cabinets with MDF to quiet them down. Not sure if he did his Unisaw, but you can check.

I wouldn't call my Unisaw quiet, but I wouldn't call it loud either. Don't worry, a nice DC system will take care of the saw noise :)

Jay

JayStPeter
03-21-2005, 8:35 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Align the table with the blade before you put the legs on the extension and into the mobile base. Makes it much easier as the legs try to act like a spring in the base and push the table top back.

Jay

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Sweet Saw! Hope you get her all tuned up and she works great for you. Enjoy!
Corey

Jason Tuinstra
03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
So that's what it look like out of the box! :D (Mine is still in the box waiting for the next move.) Congrats, Bill!

Carole Valentine
03-22-2005, 6:48 PM
You will love it! How loud is loud? Are you comparing it to other Unis or to your contractor saw? My Unisaw is not loud enough that I even really notice it (just a powerfull purr!) but then it's the only TS I have ever owned so I can't compare. I think once you get the extension wings on, the motor cover closed and everything set up, you will find that it will be quieter. You should not have any vibration if everything is aligned properly. Be careful about sealing the cabinet for DC...you have to have some air flow!

Bill Lewis
03-22-2005, 7:13 PM
I was comparing it to my Contractor Saw, which really did purr. It was in storage for over 2 years while waiting to get in to the new house. I was really surprised how quiet it was when I first started it after all that time. It's now gone on to a new home, and I'm sure the new owner will appreciate it as much as I did.:D

I'm sure I'm making the worst and probably an unfair comparison, It was just a first impression, even though it was all opened up. :o

The DC is definately quieter than the saw in this state. Even my compressor is quieter. There I go making more unfair comparisons. :eek:

I still think the dynamat would be a cool idea. But we'll see.... Gotta get that mobil base first....;)