PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Woodturning Magazine

james bell
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
I started turning late last year and enjoying it, so figured about time to look at some woodturning magazines. Any recommendations?

thanks ... jim

Alan Trout
02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
James,

Of course join the AAW. They have a great magazine, Woodturning Design is another good one. And Woodturning, which is published in England is a very good magazine as well.

Alan

Greg Just
02-23-2012, 1:48 PM
+1 for Alan's recommendations. Also, if you join AAW, you get access to all of the old editions electronically that are searchable.

George Morris
02-23-2012, 1:50 PM
AAW and Wood Turning Design Both worth the money!

Al Wasser
02-23-2012, 2:37 PM
After a couple of years I found Woodturning Design to be useless. It has an over abundance of pen turning articles in it and I don't do pens. I suggest getting a couple of issues at the book store and be your own judge

BILL DONAHUE
02-23-2012, 7:29 PM
Join the AAW and you'll get "American Woodturner" which has some fine articles on the cutting edge of woodturning. "Woodturning Design" has a wide variety of articles and I always find something of interest. In February, for instance, there are articles on the following:
-rose engines
-pens
-peppermills
-square bowls
-bottle stoppers
-Christmas ornaments
-palioligorbart (not a typo)
-a tool review
-and more
In short, "Woodturning Design" has such a wide variety of articles that there is always something that makes it worth the price.

Harvey Ghesser
02-23-2012, 8:33 PM
I always enjoy reading the current issue of Woodturning Design. There is always something in every issue that I learn. While I don't turn pens, the few times I did I can recall the articles read in WD. The tool reviews are always excellent and the short exposes on turners are interesting reading for me. And of coarse, AAW's American Woodturner is a must read as well.

Dan Hintz
02-24-2012, 6:53 AM
Another vote for Woodturning Design... if you call them up, you can order back issues for cheap. There are around 35 issues out so far, so if you order 20+ back issues, they're $3 each. They started out being published quarterly, but they're up to 6 times a year now.

Eric Holmquist
02-24-2012, 7:45 AM
I get all three of the ones listed so far and enjoy them all. They each have a different focus which gives a nice variety of views on the topic.

Bill Bulloch
02-24-2012, 8:17 AM
There is another one called "More Woodturning". It is 10 issues a year , you can get it in Hardcopy or online .pdf format.