PDA

View Full Version : Tilting......bandsaw?

shane lyall
02-22-2012, 11:59 PM
From what I read, the new Euro rules say the table must stay level and the saw tilts. I hardly ever tilt my table but this just looks cool!

David Kumm
02-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Shane, look at the Griggio website. they have saws that tilt with sliding tables. Dave

Van Huskey
02-23-2012, 1:16 AM
Europe already limits table tilt to I think 20 degrees, which doesn't effect us since they just use some sort of stop that we can remove easily. If the rules are getting much more stringent it may effect the export saws as well, depending on the volume that comes to NA and other areas that don't require the same specs. Inetersting none the less.

Gary Herrmann
02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Look for arn. Vintage ship saws do just that. Don't know of anyone in the US still makes them. Kinda doubt it.

Ron Natalie
02-23-2012, 1:07 PM
Sears used to sell a bandsaw that worked like that.

Bill White
02-23-2012, 1:14 PM
Sears used to sell a bandsaw that worked like that.
Yep! And it was crap too. No reflection on you Ron.
I guess that it would take me a while to get used to that feller, and seems like it would require a lot of workin' room in the shop.
Bill

shane lyall
02-23-2012, 4:12 PM
The space thing would be a deal breaker for me. I have my Delta aginst the wall and a little 10 inch in a corner. I'm not looking for a new saw just passing along some info.

Matt McColley
02-24-2012, 7:25 PM
It's not really anything new....

We have a large tilting head band saw (power tilt mechanism) at work. The saw was at least 25 years old when my boss picked it up at auction.

Van Huskey
02-24-2012, 9:41 PM
Look for arn. Vintage ship saws do just that. Don't know of anyone in the US still makes them. Kinda doubt it.

For anyone that hasn't seen one of these it looks like a big C, will try to find a picture. The last one I saw was a Crescent. There are none still made in the US or anywhere that I know of, one AFAIK Northfield is the only US maker of bandsaws still left and they never made a ships saw that I know of.

Bottom of the page, it is a rather large version, I have never seen one in the wild larger than 42"

http://coronet1885.com/?p=272

Myk Rian
02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
For anyone that hasn't seen one of these it looks like a big C, will try to find a picture. The last one I saw was a Crescent.
I'll bet it's this one. What a beauty it is.

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/images/5539-A.jpg

Van Huskey
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I'll bet it's this one. What a beauty it is.

It wasn't THAT one but it was probably the same model, the one I looked at was a rust bucket and too expensive to boot. That one is gorgeous!

David Kumm
02-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Tannewitz still makes their cast iron saw and a c frame chair back saw that tilts on it's frame. While Northfield makes bandsaws the castings are farmed out from Eau Claire WI. Their foundry is closed. Dave

Van Huskey
02-24-2012, 11:56 PM
I forgot about the Tanny C back. Is Tannewitz still US owned? I know they still manufacture in MI but was thinking an Asian concern actually owned them now, I was making that distinction but I certainly could be incorrect.

David Kumm
02-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I forgot about the Tanny C back. Is Tannewitz still US owned? I know they still manufacture in MI but was thinking an Asian concern actually owned them now, I was making that distinction but I certainly could be incorrect.

Van, I'm not sure but if Ramco is foreign they sure keep it a secret. They talk like they are US but come short of actually saying it. They source bandsaws from both Italy and Asia as well. Dave

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
I think Gangster Lean when I see these. Low rider tools.

Van Huskey
02-25-2012, 2:04 AM
Van, I'm not sure but if Ramco is foreign they sure keep it a secret. They talk like they are US but come short of actually saying it. They source bandsaws from both Italy and Asia as well. Dave

I do not know for sure but I have always had the idea like the "new" Oliver they portray themselves as American without actually saying it. Not definative but Tannewitz, Max nor Ramco are members of WMMA, I would be surprised if they were US owned if they weren't members since they obviously manufacture some of their line here, BUT one never really knows they might just think WMMA is a waste of money.

Curt Harms
02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
There's a honkin' big ships' saw at Mystic seaport where the saw tilted and table was fixed. I don't know if it was functional when I was there. Had a cool chain power feed mechanism. I took pics but have no idea where they're at right now.