PDA

View Full Version : Delta model 20 band saw help

Brian Crist
02-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I am new to the forum and would like to get help on a band saw purchase. It is a delta model 20 cat# 28-651. Can anyone help me with this? I looks all original and test went well but did not re-saw anything and I think I may want to with this saw. Can anyone offer any guidance. Much appreciated.

Van Huskey
02-23-2012, 1:14 AM
Is it one of the ones where you have to add/subtract plates on the blade guide? If so I hate those but they can be replaced. They rarely ever come with a complete set of plates.

Brian Crist
02-23-2012, 7:34 PM
Yes I believe it is. Any recommendations? Any help I can get with this saw would be great.

Van Huskey
02-23-2012, 9:10 PM
Ask away. What is it you need/want to know. The more specific the question the more answers you are likely to get. On the very general side it is a solid saw I just hate the guides but I already said that.

Brian Crist
02-24-2012, 7:02 PM
What guides do you recommend? Is there a good aftermarket fence you know of? It is heavy, I have a garage shop and need to move it, what can I mount it on?

Larry Edgerton
02-24-2012, 7:14 PM
I can't remember the model # of mine but I have a 20" Delta that sounds like the same saw. Square boxy frame? It had the plate guide deal, but before I ever used it I switched it to Carter Guides. Mine is 3ph, 3hp, and it cuts well. I have not tried small stuff with it, I have another one for that, but for big cuts it is fine.

No wheels, I use the fork lift:p

Van Huskey
02-24-2012, 9:08 PM
The best off the shelf solution is Carter guides. They aren't cheap but about the only game in town for those machines. There are not a lot of aftermarket fences built for larger bandsaws most are designed for the 14-15" deep tables on the 14" saws. Many people re-purpose old (or new) table saw fences that don't need to clamp on the back side, many people cut down the rails of old Unisaw fences for that and the previous generation 28-350 saws, it is what the original fence looked like but the TS fences are much easier to find. Grizzly also sells some full fence systems that may work. The cheapest solution would be a wooden fence and some clamps. It weighs in the 700lb range so you need a pretty healthy mobile base AND you need to make sure the base you git will fit the base dimensions, those saws have a very large base compared to most saws of their size. Good luck and post some pictures if you can.

To Larry, yep same one, yours may be of the Rockwell era, most of them were built in the 70s. More often you see the model number as 28-3x5 or 28-3x0 the X was for machines sold to government or schools which most of these were.

Larry Edgerton
02-25-2012, 6:40 AM
I do remember that there is an X in the number, and I did buy it from a school. I was looking for a MM20 when I bought this for $600 in perfect condition, so it was a no brainer. Not as good of a saw I am sure but it will do.

I have an old 14" I bought from a prototype shop that is a Rockwell, and it has the gear reduction gearbox for cutting metal. Thought about selling it when I bought the 20" but decided to keep it around. I gave my brother my metal saw when he bought my old shop so it may save me a trip when I need to cut some steel, and its just a nice little saw.

Brian, the last time I dropped off some material at Habitat for Humanity they had some metal blades for that saw for $5. I bought one just because, but if you buy the saw and want one let me know and I'll grab you one next time I am in the area. I think they are 151 inch but my memory may be off an inch or two.;)

Larry

Van Huskey
02-25-2012, 2:28 PM
I was looking for a MM20 when I bought this for $600 in perfect condition,
Larry

I have my 28-350 (older versions of the same general saw, just softer curves instead of hard edges), it sits right beside my MM20, they make good friends!

Brian Crist
03-06-2012, 6:16 PM
Thanks guys. I did buy the saw. Single phase 1.5 hp. I ordered carter guides and bought a 3/4" wood slicer blade. I did measure the blade on it at 151". I bought 150". I did hear from a local guy that it is a good reliable saw and since I am a hobby wood worker I think it will be fine. If it doesn't work out I will just sell it and buy another. I have checked into some fences, does anyone know about the Kreig bolt on type? I saw it the other day at woodcraft and was wondering about it. I am a bit concerned that tuning the saw will be a chore.

Van Huskey
03-06-2012, 7:48 PM
The Kreg may be a little short for that table. Many people use old Unisaw fences on them by cutting down the rails. I can't remember if that saw actually came with the Unisaw type fence but the saw that preceeded (28-350) did and the table is the same size.