PDA

View Full Version : Steel City Table Saw

Brett Robson
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
So I received my new granite Steel City 3hp saw last week and finally got everything all dialed in today.

The only real issue I had with my purchase was the shipper lost the fence rails somewhere along the way. The tool seller, who shall remain nameless but maintains a respectable online presence, stated the missing rails were not their problem and I should file a loss claim with the shipper. Ya, right. Like waiting 6 weeks for a loss claim to settle and then still be without a fence is really an option!

Anyways, just by blind luck, I asked about rails when in Tool King the other day. The guy gave me a 36" front rail set from a SawStop for free! The rear rail was missing so they couldn't sell it. I just whipped up a rear rail from some 1.5" angle and was in business!

This saw is pretty robust. While it's not quite an Industrial SawStop, it's a huge step up from my Delta contractor.

The Granite top is seamless and dead flat. The seam between the wings and the main section of table top is incorporated into the miter slot.

Figured as we don't seem to hear/see much about Steel City following their issues a year or two back, I'd give you guys a look under the hood.

Kevin W Johnson
02-23-2012, 12:44 AM
While I agree (with the seller) that the seller is not the one responsible for the loss, the shipper is, it's not good practice to "dump" the issue like that. The seller should offer to replace the rails, and file a claim with the shipper for reimbursment. It is impossible to use the saw without them.

Besides, it's been my experience that the place of shipment origin is typically responsible for filing claims after being notified of loss by the receiver.

Mike Heidrick
02-23-2012, 1:00 AM
The shipper will settle with the seller. Its 100% on them to file the claim. BS what they said!

Van Huskey
02-23-2012, 1:05 AM
Agreed, the shipper is the one that does the claim work.

Don Morris
02-23-2012, 3:23 AM
That seller would be on my list of people to stay away from with that attitude towards customer service. Would like to know who it was.

John Coloccia
02-23-2012, 6:50 AM
Seller is responsible for the claim. I would like to know who the seller is too. I would also call Steel City and let them know what one of their dealers is doing.

Every now and then, about once a year or so, I have to deal with something like this from an unscrupulous seller. If I can't get them to take responsibility and come up with a reasonable path forward, I simply tell them that if I don't get a resolution plan by COB tomorrow, I will have my credit card company reverse the charge, and then they can come pick up their broken/damaged/wrong/parts missing/whatever item at their convenience. That usually gets their attention.

Paul Wunder
02-23-2012, 7:51 AM
Brett,

By the way, I hope that you enjoy your new saw and make a lot of dust with it. I have the original Orien designed Craftsman Zipcode saw and except for the granite top and fence they are kissing cousins to your Steel City. Congrats. It is always nice to work on a better tool.

I too would like to know know the name of the firm that treated you that way.Perhaps by seeing their name in print they may decide to change their ways; if not, you would be giving us fellow creekers a "heads up"

Brett Robson
02-23-2012, 9:25 AM
I wrestled with posting the name of the seller when starting this thread. The other issue I had was the guy didn't ship the saw model that was advertised and purchased. I received similar saw, but a model that lacked the new guard and a couple other smaller features. The new guard, which is something akin to the new Unisaw guard/riving knife setup, was the main reason I selected the model I had ordered. I complained and he agreed to send the new guard.

I haven't pushed him yet to get Steel City to send new fence rails. I figured I'd wait on their resolution before calling them out publicly.

Andrew Kertesz
02-23-2012, 9:47 AM
The longer you wait the harder it is going to be to get him to do the right thing. At this point he probably thinks it is a done deal and not worried about. If it was me not getting the model I ordered, the lost parts and lack of concern I would call my CC company reverse the charges and have him come and get it. When you unpacked it and set it up you essentially gave your acceptance. Since you had to fabricate your own rear fence guide I would call Steel City and see if it has any bearing on the warranty since it is not a factory accessory. Even though it is only a piece of angle iron you might want to check.

Randy Dutkiewicz
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I 110% agree with what everyone else on here said Brett. It IS the sellers responsibility to file the claim and waiting just makes it worse. While I realize (completely) how hard it is to receive such a great looking piece of equipment that is essentially "in your possession" to have to say to yourself "sorry, but you're going back to the seller" because of their lack of respect, it's the right thing to do. Believe me, the seller was HOPING you'd just write it off and go with it, while the seller deliberately knew they were screwing you over! Don't settle for that.
Lastly, like everyone else said, please let us all know WHO this seller is - the pressure of MANY creates a very dark place on someone who does this sort of business!