PDA

View Full Version : Option to buy used Xenetech Aurora

Bruce Clumpner
02-22-2012, 6:48 PM
I came upon a deal to purchase a 12-year old Xenetech Aurora 30 watt system.. The larger bed is very inviting, but I haven't read too much on the machine. Can the tube be recharged economically? Are there any other issues folks have run into on this old of a machine?

Any info will help!

Thanks

Dan Hintz
02-23-2012, 6:43 AM
Others may correct me, but I haven't been overly impressed with Xenetech's support (do a search here). Add onto that the age of the machine, likely inability to get parts for cheap, etc. and I'm not sure I would take it for anything more than free.

Bruce Clumpner
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Others may correct me, but I haven't been overly impressed with Xenetech's support (do a search here). Add onto that the age of the machine, likely inability to get parts for cheap, etc. and I'm not sure I would take it for anything more than free.

After not seeing much discussion on the Xenetechs I pretty much figured their market share was pretty small. Supply and support are always important, so I'm still mulling over if this is a deal or not.

Thanks.

Mike Null
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
If this machine isn't free or close to it I wouldn't touch it.

Tony Lenkic
02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Bruce,

One thing you can do is contact Engravers Choice in your area and ask if there is a support for outdated Aurora lasers.
Xenetech has new line XLT & XLE that they currently produce and support.
As far as after sales support I have no issue with them on my 1625 rotary engraver and I would buy them in heart beat.

We have a member here (Andrew) who had that exact laser. He may be someone you can PM with questions about it.

Keith Outten
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Xenetech is the only laser engraver manufacturer that I know of that charges for tech support.

Gary Malone
02-23-2012, 2:54 PM
I second what Keith said, I bought my first laser engraver from Xenetech in 1999, 25 watt and had very few problems with it. You MUST have the Xenetech software to operate it so make sure it's part of package if you buy it. I have newer Xenetech laser and old 13 X 13 router and if I have a problem (which I must admit is not very often) I have to pay $35 to even speak to a Xenetech consultant. That being said, I have only had to do this 3 times in last 4 years and they have always gotten my problem fixed. Good luck with your decision.

Andrew Mammoliti
02-23-2012, 9:38 PM
Hi Bruce, I had one for 4 years, then sold it and picked up 24" x 36" XLT. I had no issues sold it for around 10,000k at the time. new was i think 30,000 for a 30 watt. But like Tony says, check about support and parts and stuff.

Hi Tony, you get your box fixed? What was the issue?

Tony Lenkic
02-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Tony, you get your box fixed? What was the issue?

Hi Andrew,
The box is still in factory for testing. They told me that all works perfect over there and suspect that table cable may be the problem. We'll see what happens.

Bruce Clumpner
02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll do some more digging with the Mfg. Sounds like an older machine may not be worth the trouble because of their support structure/pricing.

Appreciate your comments!

-bc

Andrew Mammoliti
02-24-2012, 9:28 PM
I Talked to xenetech, they still service them.

Andrew Mammoliti
02-24-2012, 9:29 PM
You been down all week?

Tony Lenkic
02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes but laser did most of the jobs.