PDA

View Full Version : Help , ideas of things to do or see, holiday to California

Brian Deakin
02-22-2012, 3:04 PM
I live in the United Kingdom and will be visiting the USA. on holiday in July 2012

My holiday plan is as follows

One night Los Angeles airport,one night Pismo beech,one night Monterrey, three nights San Francisco,two nights Yosemite,one night Sequoia,three nights Las Vegas ,one night Grand Canyon,one night Lake Havasu,three nights San Diego then return home to United Kingdom

Can anyone please advise or make suggestions of things to do,places to see and places to eat

My family group consists of My wife ,son age 13 and daughter age 16 plus myself

regards Brian

Todd Burch
02-22-2012, 3:19 PM
Gonna go see London Bridge, eh? ;)

Jim Koepke
02-22-2012, 3:31 PM
one night Monterrey, three nights San Francisco

Cannery row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium are great spots if you have the time. The Aquarium can take the better part of the day. Cannery row is a lot of shops with interesting wares.

I used to work in San Francisco, moved away about 3 years ago. Tads Steakhouse on, Powell Street, is a good inexpensive steak. We used to say Tads was an acronym for Tough And Dry Steaks. They are actually pretty good. Up Powell St. and left (west) on Geary is Lefty O'Doul's place. I have had many a meal there. They have a bar, but I have never had a drink there. Lefty O'Doul was a baseball player and manager for San Francisco's minor league baseball team. Lots of baseball memorabilia there. The legs on the bar stools are made from baseball bats. There are a lot of fancier places in S.F. but I never went for the high priced places. You might also buy a ticket and ride the Cable Car up Powell to the Hyde Street Pier. Lot of interesting things in that area including Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf. If you are into walking get a City map and walk from Powell Street through China Town to the Bay.

Macy's basement used to have a very high end eatery in the basement with not so high prices. I think there is also a Ben & Jerry's ice cream counter in the basement. I would be surprised if it isn't still there. They also have fancier eats upstairs.

Here are some links:

http://www.leftyodouls.biz/

http://www.tadssteaks-sf.com/

too many hits to list, search > macy's san francisco dining <

jtk

Doug Herzberg
02-22-2012, 4:10 PM
Los Angeles - Huntington Library in San Marino (near Pasadena) has one of the finest gardens in the United States, excellent collection of succulents, one of the top Japanese Gardens in the US, the best Chinese Garden I've ever seen (not that many). Also a fine collection of furniture a woodworker will enjoy. You can take tea in the garden - call ahead for reservations, probably not what you're used to, but a very nice buffet style food service - plan to spend a full day. The Getty museum has a good collection for the western US, also a nice urban garden display - nearly a full day. Walt Disney Concert Hall - tours available some days, another urban garden - a few hours. Universal Studios, Disneyland and Warner Bors.,in that order if you're into that, especially for the kids with you - full day each. The LA County museum has a fair collection - half day. Sam Maloof's home (tell them you're a woodworker and they'll let you see the shop) 1/2 day.

San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Golden Gate Bridge, bug zoo, Lombardy Street (1 block), Alcatraz, Sausalito.

Las Vegas - Cirque du Soleil, Celine Dion if she's still there, Hoover Dam.

San Diego - Sunday Brunch at the Del Coronado ($75 per and worth it if you can eat that much, kids may be less and a discount if you stay at the hotel) go south afterward for a nice walk on the beach. San Diego is the best place to spend some time at the beaches. Another Side of San Diego Segway tours - kids and adults will love this. Balboa Park, Point Loma, La Jolla (try supper at sunset at Georges on the Cove on the upstairs balcony - reservations necessary and you need to get there early to get a good table and plan to fight for a parking space, then walk).

You should be able to check these all out on the internet with Google or something like that to see if they may appeal to you. I've had luck with Tripadvisor.com and it's lists of things to do in, where to eat, etc. Hope that doesn't violate a rule. Have fun!

David Helm
02-22-2012, 4:33 PM
North or South rim of the canyon? Makes a difference. July is a bit hot for hiking in the canyon, and water will be scarce, but if you get the chance at least go down the Bright Angel trail as far as the Tonto platform. Carry gallons of water with you. I have spent many Aprils hiking the "abandoned trails". Problem with those is they are not day hikes and you have to get permits by January 1. They are very popular.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 5:34 PM
Yosemite is one of my favorite places on earth even though that will be the height of tourist season, YUCK! If you want to stay in the valley get your reservations NOW or better yet months ago.

I really like the Monterey area, along with those things mentioned the 17 mile drive is very cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

Todd Burch
02-22-2012, 6:15 PM
Van's post reminded me of a place I want to stay in Carmel (just next door to Monterey). It's called Mission Ranch.

http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

Clint Eastwood owns it. He's been known to frequent the bar and play piano. Just look for his old pickup truck in the parking lot.

Todd

Tim Morton
02-22-2012, 6:59 PM
sounds like an amazing vacation...if it were me i would just go and experience it...no plans...no alarms...just wake up in the morning and decide what you feel like doing.

Brian Brown
02-22-2012, 8:08 PM
I wish I was you. Sounds like you have a very full agenda. That is an enormous circle! Not much time in your schedule to see Sequoia. It is 180 miles from Yosemite to Sequoia (4 hours), and Depending on your route, driving time from Sequoia to Vegas is 8 hours (750 miles) in the best conditions. I myself enjoy the beauty of Death Valley but 110-115 degrees in July is just not for me. Besides, it is a little out of your way. I agree that in Monterey, Cannery row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium are must sees. 17 Mile Drive just didn't do it for me. In San Francisco, there is a very nice Japanese tea garden. Enjoy your holiday, you picked a beautiful location.

charlie knighton
02-22-2012, 8:39 PM
one night Grand Canyon petroglyphs

Curt Fuller
02-22-2012, 9:43 PM
Try to hit Balboa Park while in San Diego.

Steve Griffin
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
I always like lots of outdoor exercise on trips--makes all the eating more fun, and the sleeping go better.

San Fran: Wonderful walking town. Last time I was there we drove to a special restaurant, but couldn't find parking. So we drove back to the house we stayed at and walked....

Also, get out of town and go over the golden gate bridge. Rent bikes in the wine country for a day.

Vegas: Also great walking--we can put in miles here during a night on the town. Cirque du soleil is not to be missed. Consider getting out of town and hiking in red rocks. Red Rocks isn't as spectacular as the grand canyon, but it's beautiful desert country which is a big contrast to where you live. IT will be hot, but consider it part of the experience.

Have fun--you might need to take some time off when you get home to recover from this whirlwind trip!

Ben Hatcher
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Presuming you're driving from one to another, try to get a satelite radio or an aux in for an iPod in your rental if they offer it. That's a lot of time on the road and many of those areas will have very little broadcast radio and likely even less that you'd want to listen to for hours on end.

James Baker SD
02-24-2012, 1:17 AM
If you are into science or astronomy, Mt. Palomar with the 200" Hale telescope (for many years the largest in the world) is sort of between Lake Havasu and San Diego. There is a visitor's gallery open during the day so you can see the telescope through a glass window. Nice easy drive up there, not a hairpin winding road like the drive up to Lick Observatory (best taken in a 2-seater sports car) which is 60 miles south of San Francisco and still has James Lick's body under the base of the 36" refractor (yes it too for many years the largest in the world).

San Diego Zoo is pretty famous as is Sea World.

Nice lumber yard in Carlsbad which is a few miles north of San Diego.

Joe Angrisani
02-24-2012, 7:47 AM
San Diego: Just north in La Jolla, don't miss lunch or dinner at Osteria Romantica. FANTASTIC Italian/Mediterranean food.

Shawn Pixley
02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd add the Griffith Observatory and La Brea Tar Pits to the list.on the way North, you might consider Jalama beach and Pismo beach (these are very different). Hearst Castle could be a choice. Big Sur is also worth consideration.

James Baker SD
02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
The Pismo Beach to Monterey stretch can be traveled via highway 1 hugging the coast or inland on highway 101. If you have the time, highway 1 is definitely the way to go for beautiful scenery.

Bob Turkovich
02-24-2012, 1:11 PM
Here's a couple of more suggestions:

San Francisco: About 20-30 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge is Muir Woods National Monument where you can see the Redwoods - the world's tallest trees (not to be confused with sequoia's which are the largest). Take a drive in the evening to the top of Twin Peaks for a great elevated view overlooking the city -particularly at night. The Exploratorium (which is attached to the Museum of Art) is a great hands-on science museum and it is right next to the Marina district of town. If you're going to go to Alcatraz, plan on taking about 4 hours to do it. My kids loved it - I found it depressing.:rolleyes:

Yosemite: Wow - only two days in Yosemite! My family spent a week there in 2008 (my 4th trip) and it wasn't enough! Unfortunately, you're going at the worst time of the year (crowds + the waterfalls will be nowhere near their peak) but you'll still find it amazing. While in the valley, visit the Ansel Adams shop for some great B&W photography. Take one of the evenings to go to Glacier Point. Try to arrive about an hour before sunset for the best lighting. Check the park calendar in advance as astronomy clubs have their telescopes set up for public viewing a couple of nights per month. On the road to Glacier Point, take the trails to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome (about 1 1/2 miles ea.) Drive Tioga Pass Road to at least Olmstead Pt. - if you've got the time go as far Toulumme Meadows - some good short hikes along the road. Since you're going to Sequoia NP, don't bother spending much time at the Sequoia grove at Yosemite since it's pretty similar. BTW -my daughter and DIL took over 2300 pictures so have a lot of digital card memory for your camera...

Sequoia NP - besides the groves, I would suggest climbing to the top of Moro Rock if it is a clear day - while there are handrails for protection, it can be a little nerve-wracking if you have a fear of heights. If you've never been in a cave, Crystal Cave is a pretty good hike.

Sounds like a great trip!

Brian Deakin
02-24-2012, 4:27 PM
A huge thank you to everyone for the help and advice provided

When my wife saw the replies she said bless them

I recently either read or heard that the most up lifting thing a human being can do is to help another person and I wish I could thank you all personally

regards Brian

Van Huskey
02-24-2012, 5:11 PM
Brian, I hope you have a few days planned one you get home to relax, that is one heck of a trip.

BTW where in the UK do you live?

Bryan Morgan
02-25-2012, 12:31 AM
I live in the United Kingdom and will be visiting the USA. on holiday in July 2012

My holiday plan is as follows

One night Los Angeles airport,one night Pismo beech,one night Monterrey, three nights San Francisco,two nights Yosemite,one night Sequoia,three nights Las Vegas ,one night Grand Canyon,one night Lake Havasu,three nights San Diego then return home to United Kingdom

Can anyone please advise or make suggestions of things to do,places to see and places to eat

My family group consists of My wife ,son age 13 and daughter age 16 plus myself

regards Brian

Depends on what kinds of things your family likes to do... cultural things or just plain fun things.

In Vegas I'd recommend the Blue Man Group if you like music. Otherwise the stage magicians like Lance Burton are pretty entertaining. The Gun Store shooting range in Vegas lets you rent and shoot fully automatic weapons which is quite fun, http://thegunstorelasvegas.com/. A bit expensive though. $30 disappears in about 3 seconds. :) There are some roller coasters and things on top of some sky scrapers which are fun if you are not afraid of heights. You can also bungee jump off of a building. There is a great car collection at the Imperial Palace. Las Vegas Motor Speedway is an awesome place to see a NASCAR race. If theres no race look into the Richard Petty driving experience where you can ride in one of the race cars around the track, or drive one yourself. They are at different tracks at different times so you'll have to check the schedule. It will probably be pretty hot out there around that time.

In San Diego theres lots to do. If there happens to be a Red Bull air race on that is neat to see, http://www.redbullairrace.com. The Midway aircraft carrier is cool to take a tour through if you like jets and military stuff, http://www.midway.org/. Sea World of course is down there which I really enjoy, we go once a year. The San Diego Zoo is neat as well as the Wild Animal Park. The whole Balboa Park area is fun, http://www.balboapark.org/ My favorite there is the air and space museum. Lots of tech companies around the Sorrento area if you are a nerd type. :) El Agave restaurant in old town SD is very good if you like tequila. I always get a dish that is a nice steak and a giant mushroom cap. The Maritime Museum is neat but I'd bet theres better stuff in Britain, http://www.sdmaritime.org/. The Miramar (Top Gun fighter school) air show is great but I think its in October. Or course surfing at the beaches is always fun. If you catch a Navy battle group entering or leaving port its always interesting to see. The downtown SD city area is not all that great honestly (smells like urine and there are bums everywhere that harass you for money...I go there from time to time because one of my work locations is there). If you can find a Five Guys Burgers they have good hamburgers (people will claim In N Out is better but to me its the difference between a Yugo and a Lexus :) ) Enjoy the weather. Its always 75 degrees and sunny, pretty much year round. :)

In San Fransisco the US mint is kind of neat. There are some railroad museums which are pretty cool. Of course the Golden Gate Bridge is impressive. Alcatraz Island prison.

Tom Green
02-28-2012, 8:52 PM
. ) Enjoy the weather. Its always 75 degrees and sunny, pretty much year round. :)

In San Fransisco the US mint is kind of neat. There are some railroad museums which are pretty cool. Of course the Golden Gate Bridge is impressive. Alcatraz Island prison.

I wouldn't expect it to be 75 degrees OR sunny in San Francisco in July, more likely 60 degrees and foggy. And, the interior valley can easily be 100 - 110 degrees.

Gail Anderson
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Pismo Beach is about 3.5 hrs. from LAX, about half way to SF. Numerous lodging opportunities line the bluffs just north of downtown. Expect most to be fairly expensive in July. If you have a full afternoon, explore the various wineries 10 minutes inland via Price Canyon Road in the Edna valley, walk the beach and pier and then eat. I recommend Ventana Grill (Cal-Mex fusion) or Guiseppis downtown. If you're in town on Friday travel 10 minutes up the coast to Avila Beach where at 4:00 pm there's a lively farmer's market on the beach. In July there's a 50/50 chance of fog. If the fog's in, its 60 degrees. Even if the sun's out it rarely reaches much more than 70 (much like SF). Avoid the town at 4th of July as the town in very crowded for the fireworks. It's a must to use Hwy 1 through Big Sur for the way to SF. A cool walk through the redwoods to a waterfall is at Limekiln, just off the highway. From PB, with stops along the way, figure six hours or more to SF. Via Hwy 101 its 4 hrs with really nothing to recommend along the way except, perhaps, a walk about Pinnacles National Monument near Soledad.

Kevin W Johnson
03-01-2012, 1:02 AM
Van's post reminded me of a place I want to stay in Carmel (just next door to Monterey). It's called Mission Ranch.

http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

Clint Eastwood owns it. He's been known to frequent the bar and play piano. Just look for his old pickup truck in the parking lot.

Todd

I think most celebrity types are put too high on a pedestal, and I could walk past most and not care.

Clint Eastwood, happens to be one of the exceptions. I'd really like to run in to him sometime.

Brian Deakin
03-11-2012, 6:06 AM
A big thank you to everyone for your help advice an ideas. I have made a copy of the content of your posts and will use this to help plan my holiday

It is fantastic (" a word I have never typed before ") to know that there are people within the Sawmill creek community who provide help and advice to other on a range of topics

regards Brian