PDA

View Full Version : Powered respirator question

Jim Silva
02-22-2012, 2:50 PM
Hey all,
I've been given a Kasco Respirator Helmet http://www.gemplers.com/product/031363-1/Kasco-K80S-T9-Pesticide-Helmet-12-volt-Powered and plan on using it for turning. (Thing's rated for pesticide use so dust should be easy)

Nice unit but it's designed for use while seated on a tractor (12v battery of tractor and you carry the filter pack around your waist via belt) and it has a very short hose to connect the air pump with the helmet.

It's 1" ID corrugated hose similar in appearance to sump pump outflow hose. I'm going to have to add at least 6' of additional hose in order to be safely mobile behind the lathe and I'm looking to find some hose of similar size but of greater flexibility than the typical sump pump hose.
Medical hoses made for oxygen supply flex just fine and are available in the correct ID but usually come from supply houses in 50' lengths or greater and cost a fortune.

Anyone in the Creeker think-tank have a suggestion? I've worn out Google trying to find something suitable. Need new search terms.

Thanks
Jim

Doug Herzberg
02-22-2012, 3:26 PM
Might check the hoses they use for CPAP machines. They're usually about 6' and approximately the right diameter. They have available swivel connectors, too.

Josh Bowman
02-22-2012, 3:32 PM
2 things I note. Look at the dust helmet they sell, looks like you can get around the filter on the belt by tapping the existing holes. 2nd is for 12 volt power cheap, consider a power supply from an old computer. They are self contained and have a bunch of 12 volt taps off of them. I use one to power a car radio I use for my shop. Looks like that thing will protect you from flying objects very well it looks like a race car helmet.

Jim Burr
02-22-2012, 3:33 PM
O2 (green) lines come in lengths as small as 1' and as long as 20'. The threads on O2 and Med air (yellow) are different too

Andrew Kertesz
02-22-2012, 3:34 PM
For the hose try a pool supply store. Many hoses for above ground filters are 1" and 1 1/4" id.

Jim Silva
02-22-2012, 4:03 PM
Cool suggestions so far! Thanks! (Firing up google as we speak lol)
I'm not planning to wear the filters as intended but to mount them to the wall behind the lathe (I wasn't really clear in my description above). I know I can power it with a lawnmower battery but I'll look into the power supply from one of my old PC's. I'll have to splice the new hose (whatever I end up with) into the existing one as it has peculiarly shaped ends (helmet and pump) that I KNOW I can't find.
Thanks again and I'll try to update when I find a solution.

Jim

Kyle Iwamoto
02-22-2012, 4:19 PM
OK, I'm jealous of your FREE helmet. Just curious of why you don't want to just get an extension cord and power up the filter on your belt? I'd think that dragging small lamp wire around would be MUCH easier than a 1 inch air line. Speaking of which, oxygen grade hoses are rated for just that. Breathing. I'd hesitate to use just any hose. Some hoses may spall off hazardous particles which you then be breathing. That would negate any health benefit from your powered filtered respirator. Just my $0.02.

ray hampton
02-22-2012, 4:20 PM
Cool suggestions so far! Thanks! (Firing up google as we speak lol)
I'm not planning to wear the filters as intended but to mount them to the wall behind the lathe (I wasn't really clear in my description above). I know I can power it with a lawnmower battery but I'll look into the power supply from one of my old PC's. I'll have to splice the new hose (whatever I end up with) into the existing one as it has peculiarly shaped ends (helmet and pump) that I KNOW I can't find.
Thanks again and I'll try to update when I find a solution.

Jim
If you can make a drawing of the fitting then someone may be able to find a fitting

Jim Silva
02-22-2012, 5:38 PM
OK, I'm jealous of your FREE helmet. Just curious of why you don't want to just get an extension cord and power up the filter on your belt? I'd think that dragging small lamp wire around would be MUCH easier than a 1 inch air line. Speaking of which, oxygen grade hoses are rated for just that. Breathing. I'd hesitate to use just any hose. Some hoses may spall off hazardous particles which you then be breathing. That would negate any health benefit from your powered filtered respirator. Just my $0.02.

Hi Kyle,
The pump/filter pack weighs several pounds and that's more than I'm willing to support with a belt. (Bad hips/back) This was originally intended for use while seated on a farm tractor so the belt was merely to keep it from falling off and no doubt rested on the seat. I can rig up a crane type affair to suspend the hose at roughly head height so pull on the helmet would be minimal with a flexible enough hose. I can't suspend the pump/filter pack from said crane as I'd be sure to continuously bash my helmet against it while turning. (Lousy low ceilings lol)