PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bandsaw guide bearings

Anthony Whitesell
02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Last night on my Grizzly G0513X2, I found two of the four lower guide bearings siezed and a third rather stiff. As I searched the net for replacement bearings, I found they offer shielded and sealed bearings in that size. It would appear the saw came with shielded bearings. Would not sealed bearings be better? Or am I missing something?

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 1:53 PM
Last night on my Grizzly G0513X2, I found two of the four lower guide bearings siezed and a third rather stiff. I searched the net for replacement bearings. I found they offer shielded and sealed bearings in that size. It would appear the saw came with shielded bearings. Would not sealed bearings be better? Or am I missing something?

Sealed is what you want. Sealed bearings don't spin as easily due to the seal contact friction but they last longer and for this application it is what you need.

Bob Kassmeyer
02-22-2012, 3:09 PM
When I needed new ones for my G0555 I purchased them from here VXB.com. They were about a quarter of the price for them locally. I just took the bearing number from the Grizzly parts list and crossed it. Seems the bearing numbers are pretty standard. You can also put in the size and find them. For the price I bought extra. Hope this helps.

Anthony Whitesell
02-22-2012, 3:20 PM
I had not been to that website. I have the numbers from the originals (62022). VXB only has the shielded version (same as OEM). Not a bad price ($12.95/10 + shipping) I suppose. Trying to figure out why the originals were shielded versus sealed, I purchased four sealed bearing from eBay for $11 to try them out.

The surprising thing is the upper bearings are fine. Maybe not to surprising, since the sawdust piles up around the lower bearings. Darn gravity anyway.

les winter
02-22-2012, 4:51 PM
I got mine on ebay to replace the bearings on my carter guides. Sealed. Around a buck a piece.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 5:06 PM
I had not been to that website. I have the numbers from the originals (62022). .

Are you sure you the number isn't 6202-2RS? 6202 is a very common guide bearing size (15mm bore 35mm OD and 11mm width). The 2RS would indicate sealed where ZZ would be shielded. BTW there are other designations for sealed and shielded RS and ZZ seem to be the most common for these types of bearings.

If my guess is correct and you have a 6202 beraing they are very easy to find since they are used in roller blades etc, I wouldn't pay over $2 each for them.

Anthony Whitesell
02-22-2012, 5:50 PM
Nope. The bearings are very clearly marked 62022 and match the P/N from Grizzly tech. 6202 is the bearing size without the cover, everything else indicates the covers. In this case the extra 2 much indicate double shield (opposed to single shield which also exists). The price I got was competitive for four bearings if you include shipping. I could get a better price buying a sleeve of 10, but I wasn't convinced at the time, the sealed ones would work.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 7:05 PM
Nope. The bearings are very clearly marked 62022 and match the P/N from Grizzly tech. 6202 is the bearing size without the cover, everything else indicates the covers. In this case the extra 2 much indicate double shield (opposed to single shield which also exists). The price I got was competitive for four bearings if you include shipping. I could get a better price buying a sleeve of 10, but I wasn't convinced at the time, the sealed ones would work.

OK we are on the same page, I just didn't want you searching for 62022 bearings since that isn't a standard bearing size, often the protection number and type is separated from the bearing size in this case they are not. If you search 6202 or 6000 series bearings it will get you a ton more hits and searching 62022 won't direct you to sealed bearings directly. Anyway you have it figured out.

William Payer
02-22-2012, 8:23 PM
Anthony,

I had just a few hours on my Griz 513x before the bearings were screaming like a bunch of Justin Beiber groupies. Although only a couple were culprit at the time, I replace all of them 9 rubber shielded) and have had no problems since. All are 6022 shielded ( I think a zz designation at the end) except one.That was the lower thrust bearing behind the blade. )You might want to take it off and check its size if you order a full set) I think the entire set of 10 with shipping was about $40 about 4 years ago.

Russ Massery
02-22-2012, 8:48 PM
I had to replace mine on my 0513X. Here's the best price I found for sealed 6202. They came out to 16.32 with shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBI93G/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details.

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBI93G/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details)

Anthony Whitesell
02-22-2012, 8:52 PM
I know the lower trust is a different size but it was fine. I was really trying to understand why they put shielded bearing on something that ran in such a dusty environment. Doesn't quite make sense to me. At the same time make sure there wasn't a reason they didn't use the sealed bearings, in the event I shouldn't I only purchased four to replace the lower bearings.

Russ Massery
02-22-2012, 8:56 PM
The bottom ones seem to be the ones that go bad. Makes sense the dust is going downward.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 9:09 PM
I know the lower trust is a different size but it was fine. I was really trying to understand why they put shielded bearing on something that ran in such a dusty environment. Doesn't quite make sense to me. At the same time make sure there wasn't a reason they didn't use the sealed bearings, in the event I shouldn't I only purchased four to replace the lower bearings.

Lower cost and the shielded bearings spin better for about 10 minutes. Mainly cost. The incremental cost seems stupid to use but figure how many bearings Grizzly buys for just bandsaw guides and given it is pure profit it begins to make some sence, at least for them.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Anthony
Just and old trick, if you still have problems with new sealed bearing in the future. Pop one of the seals off and fill your bearing with a light axle grease. Sawdust will have no place to go. They do operate a little warmer fill of grease. Tom

Ed Edwards
02-23-2012, 9:49 AM
When I was looking for replacement bearings for my belt sander, they were the 6202rs, When I went to the web many were being sold in packs of 10 for rooler blades. The concern I had was that these were ceramic bearings. Has anyone experienced these on shop machines??

Thanks, Ed