PDA

View Full Version : When It Rains It Pours (Long, OT)

Douglas Robinson
03-21-2005, 1:43 PM
I'll start with some woodworking, which has little to do with the story, but.... I am in the process of building a cabinet for underneath my workbench. It is 48" x 33" x 20." (Pics to follow tomorrow). One side has to cabinets with doors and five drawers and the other side is 12" deep and has open shelves. Well, I have worked most evenings for over a week on it. All that is left is the drawers and some trim for the open shelves. I have the drawer backs and sides planed and cut to size. I was going to build the drawers last night, but....

My father calls at 8PM and tells me my Mom has been admitted to the hospital and may have had a stroke. All woodworking plans went right out the window, and I went right out the door. I got to the hospital, and luckily she did not have a stroke. Rather, she has a nuerological problem, and has amnesia where her short term memory is lost. She cannot remember what she did that day, what she ate, or what she is doing at the hospital. We had the same conversation a dozen times, in addition to repeating other comments and questions, over and over.

What makes this even worse, is my Dad is scheduled to have surgaery to clear blockages in his carotid arteries this Friday. This has been scheduled for some time and he really needs it. My Mom had been so worried she asked me to sit with her during Dad's surery. Now she can't remember he is scheduled to have the surgery, and gets upset when we discuss it. I have to help get Dad to the hospital at 5:30AM and take care of my Mom. I' a little stressed, but not nearly as much as them. Thanks for letting me vent.

Ted Shrader
03-21-2005, 1:52 PM
Douglas -

Our prayers will be with you, your Mom and your Dad, and the doctors as they treat your folks. You only get as many burdens as you can handle. Sometimes it is tough to be so strong.

Hang in there, all will be well.

Regards,
Ted

Dan Forman
03-21-2005, 2:40 PM
Douglas,

Sorry to hear of your folk's health challenges. I know it is very painful to watch when they are in decline. I found it hard to get detailed information from my father about my mother's condition when she was having difficulties, found it much better to talk to the doc directly. Often with brain events, there can be improvement after a few days, as "circuits" are reassigned to cover the damaged ones.

I would advise you to stay in contact with her doc, and try to get a clear explanation of what happened and how things are likely to go from here.

If she had a "mini-stroke" (TIA) , it will be important to ask the doc about what can be done to minimize the possibility of having a major stroke in the future (small dose of aspirin of some other blood thinner). Here is a link to some basic info on mini-stroke: http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gid7=388 It would be important to know if any of these symptoms were present when she first noticed something was wrong.

I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

Dan

Ron McNeil
03-21-2005, 2:59 PM
Douglas, Our prayers will be with you, your Mom and your Dad during these stressful times. Here's hoping their health improves quickly and that your strength holds up.

Tyler Howell
03-21-2005, 3:21 PM
Hang tough Douglas. There are many of us in the same soup right now.
Our prayers are with you.
TJH

David Wilson
03-21-2005, 3:31 PM
Douglas,
You and your parents are in our thoughts and prayers. Hope all turns out well.

Richard Wolf
03-21-2005, 4:36 PM
Good luck with your Mom and Dad. Life always gives us a reality check once in a while just to make sure we keep thinks in prospective. Enjoy your parents while you still have them.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2005, 5:51 PM
Douglas, you, your parents and their Doctors are in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 5:55 PM
Hope all goes well with your parents Doug. Take care,

Corey

lou sansone
03-21-2005, 6:53 PM
As others have said, I will pray for you as well. God can give you a peace that will transend all of these problems.

kind regards
lou

Randy Moore
03-21-2005, 7:02 PM
Doug,

Hang in there and keep us posted. Your family and Dr's are in our prayers.:)

Jerry Olexa
03-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Life offers more challenges and in this case, more than your fair share. Keep your faith. Hang in there. We will pray for a successful resolution for your parents and family!