PDA

View Full Version : Most used chisels

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 11:42 AM
I just got my lathe up and running this last week and now need to get some chisels, I am wondering what are your two or three most used chisels so I know what to start with.

Robert McGowen
02-22-2012, 11:45 AM
It is hard to recommend something without knowing what it is you want to turn. Spindle work, hollowing, bowls, etc.?

If I personally was limited to 3 tools, they would be a round nose scraper, a bowl gouge, and a parting tool. YMMV

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I don't really know what I plan to do with it, so far I have been using it to turn #2tapers on drill rod so I can make my own centers and chucks for it. One thing I do know is I want to try metal spinning on it so would have to make my molds. I also don't plan to do any pens or other small work, it just doesn't catch my interest.

Dale Miner
02-22-2012, 1:24 PM
Metal spinning forms are usually glued up from hard maple boards. They are glued up and turned cross grain. For turning cross grain, you will have the best luck with a bowl gouge. For details on the forms you will need a fingernail ground spindle gouge or detail gouge. From time to time, a round nose scraper will come in handy.

For metal spinning forms I suggest a 1/2" bowl gouge, a 1/2" spindle gouge, and a 3/8" detail gouge. For making handles or general spindle work, I would suggest also getting a 1" or 1-1/4" roughing gouge (never use a roughing gouge on cross grain work).

If you truly want to limit your purchases to three tools, skip the detail gouge.

Turning the outside of a spinning form is much like turning the outside of a bowl. I suggest that you view a copy of a bowl turning dvd, my favorite is the one by Dell Stubbs.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2012, 1:30 PM
I might suggest a gouge with an Elsworth grind, a round nose scraper, a parting tool and possibly a beading tool depending what you have in mind to turn.

alex grams
02-22-2012, 1:36 PM
I really like the bowl DVD by Bill Grumbine. I have the ones by Raffin also and both are great, but Grumbine has some particularly good sections where he thoroughly demonstrates angles of cuts and different types of cuts on bowls. The Raffin spindle DVD is great though also.

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 1:48 PM
Another question is there any reason I can't make my own scrappers, skew chisel and cut off tool from oil hard, highspeed steal or old files? I can't really think of a way to make gouges due to the curve in them.

alex grams
02-22-2012, 2:12 PM
Joe, a lot of people have made scrapers from old files/etc, so that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as buying gouges, I find Doug Thompson tools are very widely and highly regarded and one of the best bang for the buck gouges out there. I recommend making your own handles and just buying the steel. It is a fun project to make the handles and you can make them to suit your needs and preferences.

Andrew Kertesz
02-22-2012, 2:21 PM
Be careful using old files as they are. That is realy a pretty brittle piece of metal that you don't want shattering in your face.

Tony De Masi
02-22-2012, 2:26 PM
I just spent the weekend turning with one of the masters and all he uses are home made scrapers of various widths and thicknesses and a parting tool. All of his scrapers are ground to a 57* bevel.

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 2:31 PM
I just spent the weekend turning with one of the masters and all he uses are home made scrapers of various widths and thicknesses and a parting tool. All of his scrapers are ground to a 57* bevel.

He uses no gouges at all?

Tony De Masi
02-22-2012, 2:41 PM
None at all Joe. I think he may have back in the day but now he makes everything he uses.

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 2:55 PM
That is good to hear, I think I will see if I can get some oil hard this afternoon and see what I can come up with. Any suggestions on how large to make the tangs so they stay in the handles?

Tony De Masi
02-22-2012, 4:05 PM
I've made two scrapers since the weekend. One using 1/4 inch square steel and the other using 1/8th inch square steel. Each hole in the handle was drilled 1/32 larger than the steel so that the corners of the steel are used to bite down into the wood. You need to be careful and make sure the steel goes in straight. Don't tap on the steel into the wood. Turn the tool upside down and put the steel on a wood block and hammer down on the handle of the tool. Then it's just put the grind and angle on the steel you want.

Robert McGowen
02-22-2012, 5:35 PM
You need to be careful and make sure the steel goes in straight. Don't tap on the steel into the wood. Turn the tool upside down and put the steel on a wood block and hammer down on the handle of the tool.

Warning thread highjack - :)

I use a 3/4" pipe clamp to seat the tool into the handle. It is very easy to align and it is slow, so there is no chance of driving it in crooked. I put a block of wood on the tool end, place the assembly in the clamp, and just turn the clamp. This way also allows you to seat the metal exactly to the depth that you want. YMMV

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2012, 6:13 PM
Joe - for the kinds of turning I do... all I need are my 5/8" Thompson V bowl gouge, a parting tool and my 1 1/2" round nose scraper.

If you want some info on scrapers - PM Reed Gray and check with him. I know that a scraper is his preferred tool for turning bowls - and he turns a lot of them!

Joe Hillmann
02-22-2012, 6:17 PM
Are scraper used flat or are they run at an angle like a skew chisel is?

Tony De Masi
02-22-2012, 7:18 PM
Even better Robert. I like it.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2012, 7:47 PM
You'll find here that some like one brand over another but in the end, look at the tool makers websites and get as much info as you can in regards to the features, grinds and materials they are made of. When it comes to gouges, study the flute design and the grind shape and how it relates to the tools cutting edge and the methods to use it. When it comes to scrapers, the link below is very informative. that I learned a lot from it and it might help. Myself, I'm a Glaser guy, Steve is a Thompson guy. In the end, we both are friends and on occasion we make cool stuff. :D Good luck on your efforts.

http://www.negativerakescraper.com/

Reed Gray
02-22-2012, 8:05 PM
For bowls, I would not want to be without at least, one round nose scraper, one Doug Thompson 5/8 V gouge with 50 degree bevel and about 45 degree sweep wings, and one Doug Thompson 5/8 U gouge with about a 65 to 75 degree bevel and almost no sweep to the wings for the transition area and across the bottom of the bowl. Others for general turning, one skew, one spindle gouge for detail work, a parting tool, and most likely a spindle roughing gouge. Those tools would be able to do just about anything.

As for making your own tools, well, if you have the steel, and the metal working capability, go for it. Files, probably not without retempering them as they are very brittle as they come, and breaking is a problem. I have heard that leaf springs are good material for scrapers, but don't know the steel types very well, so I buy my tools unhandled, and make my own handles.

A scraper is a very versatile tool in the hands of some one who knows how to use them. You can do scraping cuts, and bevel rubbing cuts, and shear scrape cuts. Most people just don't think of it. Gouges can do the same cuts. I use both, and mostly scrapers for roughing, and then gouges for finish cuts, and then back to scrapers at a high shear angle (up on edge rather than flat on the tool rest) for the days when the gouges are not functioning perfectly, which is just about every day.

robo hippy

John Beaver
02-22-2012, 9:14 PM
I am wondering what are your two or three most used chisels so I know what to start with.

By far the tool I use most is a 1/2" bowl gouge. (I actually use 2 with different grinds)
Second is a 3/8" bowl gouge.
Learn how to use them properly and they are extremely versatile.

David E Keller
02-22-2012, 9:46 PM
The 1/2 inch bowl gouge and 3/8 detail gouge would be my two most used tools.