PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Finishes, Query

Steve Trauthwein
02-22-2012, 9:40 AM
Hello All,

Members of the club were interested in getting a book on finishes for woodturnings. Is there anything out there that fits the bill? Haven't found anything in my search.

Regards, Steve

John Keeton
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Steve, there isn't a lot out there on finishes for woodturnings. The website of Russ Fairfield, now deceased, has a lot of information. In the flatworld, Bob Flexner has been publicized a lot, and has some books out there.

Jake Helmboldt
02-22-2012, 9:04 PM
Steve, I just checked out a book by Flexner from the library that covers finishing in depth. He also debunks a lot myths. Title: Understanding Wood Finishing. He breaks down a lot of details on things like varnish with polymerized oils (e.g. Waterlox with tung oil) vs. varnish/oil blends such as Minwax Antique Oil and Watco Danish Oil. He speaks to the benefits of various finishes, so I think that would be a good book to consider.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2012, 9:26 PM
I'm not sure about any books on it but a little shellac for a sealer and some tung oil and you can get a real nice look. Ask everyone here and you may be able to write a book with all the info.