PDA

View Full Version : 8" Crescent Jointer Info Needed

Bob Coleman
02-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi All,

Guy up the road from me has an 8 inch crescent jointer for sale. 1914 era. I haven't been to see it yet. What should I look for when I do?

How well do these perform? Is the short fence original?

Pictures are pretty bad on the posting, so I can't tell if it has a blade guard or porkchop or not. Could I still find parts if its missing some?

Thanks!

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/2859709236.html

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Bob,

Going to vintage machinery or owwm would probably get you a quicker and more throrough answer. Those two sites specialize in vintage woodworking power tools.

Jerome Hanby
02-22-2012, 8:34 AM
If the head is the round type, then that looks like a killer jointer. I'd think just the normal stuff, is it flat? Can you manage to move it? Why are you posting here get over there and grab it! Then post pictures!

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 2:53 PM
First, make sure it has a round head, I THINK those did. Next, I am pretty sure they were babbit bearing machines, if it has not been converted then aquaint yourself with the care and feeding of the bearings. Third, they did not come with guards, I have seen several different guards retrofitted to them over the years. Finally, if everything is flat and in working order that is a good price, not bottom feeder but fair. I would say this is not a machine you could consider plug and play since at the very least you are going to have to deal with the guard issue.

Van Huskey
02-22-2012, 8:18 PM
One thing to add, it will only have a dust chute so you will probably want to adapt it to your dust collection.

Matt Day
02-22-2012, 9:03 PM
Donate $6 to SMC and you can check the Classified section and get much better pictures ;)