PDA

View Full Version : First HF with the KOBRA

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 6:08 PM
This is the first HF coming off the lathe with Kobra hollower. The Kobra is just awesome. I'll review it after I get a little more time with it. This HF is just practice before I commit my stash of BLM. I'm not gonna sand it or finish it because I really want to work with BLM (my favorite). It's 6 X 2 1/2. Thin. Osage orange.

C & C welcome224615

Roger Chandler
02-21-2012, 6:17 PM
That is fine piece of work, Harvey........that OO really has pretty grain figure. Congrats on the Kobra system!

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 6:24 PM
Thank you for the compliment, Roger..I appreciate it!:)

Deane Allinson
02-21-2012, 6:27 PM
Nice form, wood, good skils Evidently you do not need much practice!
Deane

Glenn Kramer
02-21-2012, 6:30 PM
Congratulations on the new Kobra. Mine arrived today after about a 9 month wait. Having just opened the carton and spreading the outfit on my bench..I think it was worth the wait!

Happy hollowing!

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 6:32 PM
Thanks, Deane. Hope it's not beginner's luck. I've been turning close to three years, exclusively bowls so I'm hoping the skills I've learned will help me with hollow "forms".

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 6:36 PM
Congratulations, Glenn. Speaking from minimal experience with the Kobra...You will love it!! I was a bit luckier than you...only waited 8 1/2 months. Well worth the wait.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2012, 7:00 PM
Harvey - congrats on your new system! Nice form but it is the grain that steals the show with this one! Cool stuff! Ambrosia is some great wood but don't turn a shoulder on this wood... could make for some very distinct HFs! Have fun!

Jerry Wright
02-21-2012, 7:08 PM
Harvey - really nice work. Please sand it and finish it!! I really want to see the grain POP on this one.

John Keeton
02-21-2012, 7:14 PM
I've been turning close to three years, exclusively bowls so I'm hoping the skills I've learned will help me with hollow "forms".Harvey, I would say you have learned well! Excellent piece, and I agree it should be finished out.

Tony De Masi
02-21-2012, 7:26 PM
Very nice piece Harvey. Congrats on the Kobra too. Is the Stubby long enough to work well with it or do you use it on another lathe?

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 7:37 PM
Very nice piece Harvey. Congrats on the Kobra too. Is the Stubby long enough to work well with it or do you use it on another lathe?

Thanks, Tony. The lathe bed on the Stubby slides so that I can position the bed to turn spindles up to 34 inches IIRC. No problem with the Kobra.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 7:39 PM
Harvey, I would say you have learned well! Excellent piece, and I agree it should be finished out.

Thanks, John..

Peter Blair
02-21-2012, 7:42 PM
Harvey, all I can do is sit and drool! Congrats on the new system and nice hollow form, I ordered my Kobra about 6 weeks ago so I guess I will have to continue with bowls for a few more months AARG! :>(

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 7:45 PM
Harvey - congrats on your new system! Nice form but it is the grain that steals the show with this one! Cool stuff! Ambrosia is some great wood but don't turn a shoulder on this wood... could make for some very distinct HFs! Have fun!

Thanks, Steve..this osage orange was dry and brittle. I swore I'd never turn OO again but it was handy and I needed something to turn other than the BLM which becons me:)

charlie knighton
02-21-2012, 7:48 PM
very nice, love the wood

Jack Mincey
02-21-2012, 7:57 PM
Great looking form Harvey. The Kobra system is truly a great system to use and I look forward to seeing more of your work created using it in the future.
Jack

Doug W Swanson
02-21-2012, 9:08 PM
Harvey, if you're not going to finish this piece, please send it to me so I can finish it! It deserves to be finished!

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2012, 9:14 PM
Congrats on the Kobra. That is a beauty and I feel like the rest. Sand it and finish it. It will be outstanding.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 9:16 PM
Harvey, if you're not going to finish this piece, please send it to me so I can finish it! It deserves to be finished!

Thank you for the compliment, Doug! I promise I will finish this HF and will repost it when done....(omg, the peer pressure!:eek:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2012, 9:21 PM
LOL Harvey you should know better by now.:D:rolleyes:

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 9:27 PM
Great looking form Harvey. The Kobra system is truly a great system to use and I look forward to seeing more of your work created using it in the future.
Jack

Jack, I've seen the work you've done with the Kobra. If I end up half as good as you, I'd be real happy!

Congrats on the Kobra. That is a beauty and I feel like the rest. Sand it and finish it. It will be outstanding.

Thanks for your kind compliment, Bernie... I'll git 'er done.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 9:34 PM
very nice, love the wood
Thank you, Charlie.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Harvey,
The Kobra is probably swell but we can only see the outside. You did that without the rig. Nice form and fair curves. Oh, We can take your word that the inside is also great. Well done. I am fond of this particular shape.
faust

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Harvey,
The Kobra is probably swell but we can only see the outside. You did that without the rig. Nice form and fair curves. Oh, We can take your word that the inside is also great. Well done. I am fond of this particular shape.
faust

Faust, thanks for the nice compliment on the form. The Kobra is a very stable instrument. The laser is spot on...doesn't budge. The angled cutters are precise and sharp. There is no vibration. None. When I've played with it some more, I'll do a review with pictures. It's a pleasure to use.

Rick Markham
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Harvey you got it!!! :D haha cool!!! Awesome form, I actually kinda like it "naked"... It will look amazing with finish though. Congrats on the Kobra, it will keep suprising you, I can't get mine to vibrate, it's a rock! I'm sure your one happy camper right now! I just received a 3/16" carbide cutter from hunter tool today, I was excited to get that :) Now I just need to finish some homework so I can use mine :) LOL

steven carter
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Very nice HF. Love the form and it should finish like glass.

Michelle Rich
02-22-2012, 7:28 AM
this is a terrific first hollowing with your new tool! what comes to mind is : smooooth! the grain lines are so sensual...this is a great piece.

Baxter Smith
02-22-2012, 8:58 AM
Congrats on the Kobra and a nice looking form!

George Van
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Faust, thanks for the nice compliment on the form. The Kobra is a very stable instrument. The laser is spot on...doesn't budge. The angled cutters are precise and sharp. There is no vibration. None. When I've played with it some more, I'll do a review with pictures. It's a pleasure to use.

Harvey, you mention angled cutters, are these gooseneck or the straight tips with the cutter broached at an angle? What did you use for the top of the form aside the mouth?
BTW: I sure do like the form with that rich grain!

Dan Forman
02-22-2012, 1:47 PM
That's a gorgeous form, love the way the grain wraps around. Did you use any non-Kobra bits or arms for the inside shoulder area?

Dan

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 2:56 PM
That's a gorgeous form, love the way the grain wraps around. Did you use any non-Kobra bits or arms for the inside shoulder area?

Dan

Thank you, Dan. I used the John Jordan 1/2 curved boring bar. I ordered the the 1/2 inch Kobra adapter since I knew I wanted small entry holes. It worked really well.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2012, 2:57 PM
Harvey that is just beautiful. I'm glad to see you turning out such beautiful work right off the bat. Question for you, does the system come with its own cutting tools or do you use your own?

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 4:20 PM
Harvey that is just beautiful. I'm glad to see you turning out such beautiful work right off the bat. Question for you, does the system come with its own cutting tools or do you use your own?

Bill, the Kobra comes with the boring bars and the boring tips. The tips contain the cutters which are sharpened on the grinder. The outside of the form is done with my Glaser.

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 4:30 PM
Harvey, you mention angled cutters, are these gooseneck or the straight tips with the cutter broached at an angle? What did you use for the top of the form aside the mouth?
BTW: I sure do like the form with that rich grain!

George, picture the angled cutters as if you might picture an insert. They attach to the boring bars with set screws. They are interchangeable between the one inch and the 3/4 inch boring bar. A really slick solution. There is a youtube video that shows the Kobra in action. The outside of the form was turned with my Glaser 15V.

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 4:32 PM
Congrats on the Kobra and a nice looking form!

Thank you, Baxter.

George Van
02-22-2012, 5:35 PM
George, picture the angled cutters as if you might picture an insert. They attach to the boring bars with set screws. They are interchangeable between the one inch and the 3/4 inch boring bar. A really slick solution. There is a youtube video that shows the Kobra in action. The outside of the form was turned with my Glaser 15V.
Harvey, I have a Kobra and cannot get the 45 degree cutter to reach under the top of the hollow form with a shape like yours without hitting the collar and shattering the piece. I have been using an adapter and the Kelton cranked hollowing bar. When I saw your piece I had though Kobra had a new gooseneck head available. How far out are you extending the 3/16 inch cutter from the broached cutting head?

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 6:04 PM
George, PM sent.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2012, 7:50 PM
Harvey, are the cutters carbide, or something else you can sharpen yourself? I'm intrigued by this set up but I don't think it'll work on the lathe I'm working on getting. (VB36)

Harvey Ghesser
02-22-2012, 8:06 PM
Bill, the cutters that came with the Kobra are 3/16 HSS. I sharpen them with the "widget" that I bought from Dave at Dway...a really elegant way to sharpen these little suckers.

VB36 eh? You must want to turn some big suckers. My Stubby can go 30 inches but it never will!:eek:

Bill Wyko
02-23-2012, 1:05 PM
The feature ring I'm making for the contest at segmentedwoodturners.org is going to be about 28" in diameter. My current lathes only have 14" of swing. A dilema for sure. Only solution I can see is a bigger lathe.:D