PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bug goo

Jim Colombo
02-21-2012, 2:18 PM
I was given some pieces of California Pepperwood and although it's a beautiful combination of reds, oranges and browns it is full of bugs. Their holes are in excess of 1/2" in places but that's not the worst part. The holes a filled with a goo the consistency of epoxy that is almost set (very spongy and sticky).
I'm sure I can do something with the holes if only I can get rid of the goo. Does anyone know of a way of dissolving the stuff without destroying the wood?

Thanks

Tim Rinehart
02-21-2012, 2:41 PM
I'd try some denatured alcohol to see if it breaks the stuff down. Can't see where it would harm the wood any...but may depend on how big a piece of wood we're talking about too.
Other option, is whether pressure washing would remove it too...that forceful jet, if not too forceful, would help dislodge the goo deeper. Nothing wrong with it getting wet that I can see.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 4:25 PM
Jim, are you sure you want to be involved with bug goo? Life's too short to turn crappy wood...

Steve Vaughan
02-21-2012, 4:56 PM
What's been said - DA and pressure washer. Even those might not get rid of the stuff but I'd say go ahead and turn what you're want too. As the whole piece, it might be too big to get to all that stuff. When you turn it and get it down to what you're finishing, you've got little wood left (compared to the whole piece of wood) and then it might be as simple as just picking the stuff out with an awl, or toothpick or similar. Something else too is that you leave that stuff in place and soak it with CA and let it solidify. Sounds like it could become some unique and interesting pieces!

Jim Colombo
02-21-2012, 5:31 PM
I soaked the roughed out blanks in DNA, to no avail. The goo is still there. I might have to pitch the wood after all and I don't want to because it is so beautiful.

Steve Vaughan
02-21-2012, 6:24 PM
NOOOOOO! Don't pitch it! Can't be that bad! Give it a shot!

Harry Robinette
02-21-2012, 9:13 PM
I would put a little of whatever I had around the shop on it to see what would cut the goo. Mineral spirits,naphtha,tryck,acetone whatever and see what works. Wasp mud -hot water, beetle larva- acetone,active bugs of whatever-PB Blaster. I'll try almost anything to save a piece of nice wood.

robert baccus
02-21-2012, 10:50 PM
ROGER that what harry said. these are the most bueatiful pieces and youwill remember these when the "nice " pieces are history. Get outside of the box.-------------old forester

Kyle Iwamoto
02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I also vote for turning it, then hit the goo with CA and let it harden. Use it as accents. If you take it out, you have to fill it with something else anyways. If you leave the goo, then it becomes "natural".

Jim Colombo
02-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I've DNA soaked the roughed out blanks and put them in paper bags. I'll let them dry out for a couple of months and see what happens to the goo at the end of that time. Hopefully it will crystalize and be a little easier to remove. I'll post an update in a couple of months. Thanks for all the input.