PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Finished

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
I finished the router table I've been working on. It is based visually on the New Yankee Workshop design, but all the dimensions are my own. I used my existing Rocker top. A few firsts for me in this--first time ever making a raised panel door, first time using Cutlist plus for layout, and first time using a mix of BLO/Mineral Spirits/Poly. All went well. I had a little tearout on the door rails and styles (but none on the panel, go figure.) I really like cutlist and it probably saved me from cutting a 3rd sheet of 3/4" ply and from buying a sheet of 1/2" ply becuase it showed me how to use the scraps I had. The finish worked great in the shop and I will definitely use it again. In fact, I used some to wipe down my drill press fences after I was done.

Dan Forman
03-21-2005, 1:18 PM
Matt---Looks great! A router table is right near the top of my list of things to do once I get tooled up. What is BLO?

Dan

Robert Wimmer
03-21-2005, 1:21 PM
Nice table Matt. Should last for many years of good service. Please enlighten me. What is Cutlist Plus. Sounds like something I could use. Thanks

Tim Morton
03-21-2005, 1:32 PM
Great table...I'll just go down to the basement and beat mine into a pile of timber after seeing yours :D

Bob Noles
03-21-2005, 1:40 PM
Matt,

Tim Morton has me laughing so hard I can hardly type :D

I wanted to say that is a first class router center. I see you too have the same table top and fence that I just received from Rockler about 10 minutes ago from UPS. I am hoping to get started on mine this coming weekend. What demensions did you go with on yours?

Really good job.

Douglas Robinson
03-21-2005, 1:47 PM
Dan:

BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil. Great stuff! Nice table Matt. I too would like to hear about Cutlist Plus.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-21-2005, 1:51 PM
Matt,

That looks great! I have added your pic to my inspiration folder for a router table. It is on my list of must builds this year :)

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 1:55 PM
Outstanding, Matt. That's a fine looking setup!

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 3:13 PM
Matt,

Tim Morton has me laughing so hard I can hardly type :D

I wanted to say that is a first class router center. I see you too have the same table top and fence that I just received from Rockler about 10 minutes ago from UPS. I am hoping to get started on mine this coming weekend. What demensions did you go with on yours?

Really good job.

I don't have the exact measurements with me, but the base is about 36" high. The top overhangs the sides by about 1/2", the back by about 1/2", and the front by about 2".

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 3:14 PM
Dan:

BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil. Great stuff! Nice table Matt. I too would like to hear about Cutlist Plus.

Cutlist Plus is panel optimization software. You can find a ton of info in the archives if you search for cutlist. I didn't read a bad thing about it there.

David Wilson
03-21-2005, 3:53 PM
Matt
Router table looks great. Raised panel door realy sets it off.

Tim Morton
03-21-2005, 4:32 PM
Curious as to what you used for the face frame? I'm moving on to that part on mine tonight.

Keith Christopher
03-21-2005, 4:52 PM
Cutlist plus is a very nice piece of software. It's been a while since I used it but you can input the stock you have on hand and then the stock needed for a project and it will optimize your cutting for the most efficency. It is worth a looksee.

Keith

Tom Kelley
03-21-2005, 4:53 PM
Matt,
Congrats on the router cabinet. Normy would be proud. By the way is that a Rockler switch I see? I ordered one for the cabinet I am working on but they are sold out until the end of April.

Steven Wilson
03-21-2005, 5:19 PM
Boy, that looks familiar !! Good job!

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 5:25 PM
Matt,
Congrats on the router cabinet. Normy would be proud. By the way is that a Rockler switch I see? I ordered one for the cabinet I am working on but they are sold out until the end of April.

Actually, it came off of my Jet dust collector. No longer needed on there since I have a contactor.

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 5:26 PM
Curious as to what you used for the face frame? I'm moving on to that part on mine tonight.

Its just thin (about 1/2" thick by 3/4" wide) strips of maple glued and brad nailed to the face of the plywood.

John Lucas
03-21-2005, 5:28 PM
That is a very pretty and serviceable router table. You mentioned tearout in the rails and stiles. Here is a how-to page that might help out in future.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/smfld-6.htm

and the puch block that you make to do it:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/smfld-74.jpg

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 5:43 PM
Nice work on the router table. That is basically what I want to make as well except I want mine or need mine to be mobile. Great job!

Corey

Bryan Nuss
03-21-2005, 5:45 PM
Really good looking router table, Matt!

I also have CutList and have used it extensively over the past 18 months. I know it has saved me $ in optimizing layouts and number of cuts. I also use it to make cutting layouts for my wife's quilting fabrics. It has more than paid for itself.

lou sansone
03-21-2005, 6:48 PM
good job and I think you are going to like having everything at hand.. I started off with a router table, went to a shaper and still wish I had the high speed of the router..

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 9:43 PM
Nicely done Matt! That table will give you many hours of enjoyment. I’m very envious that it doesn’t have any wheels on it!