PDA

View Full Version : Thickness for sassafras lumber?

Thomas Bank
02-21-2012, 1:21 PM
A friend has access to a number of nice sassafras logs - a couple about 2' in diameter by about 10' long without branches. He's wondering how thick to have it milled? Would there be a use for 2" thick or thicker? Or would that be asking for trouble? No real idea how stable it is.

Sam Murdoch
02-21-2012, 3:15 PM
My 2 ¢ is that if you kept it at 1-3/4" +/- 1/8" thick you would then end up with some good usuable 3/4" to 5/4" thick stock suitable for many furniture or cabinetry type projects. Assume that after it dries you will have some flattening to do - so my suggestion for allowing 1/4" or so for running over a jointer. Also if you have a good resaw bandsaw you can really optimize stock yield with that thickness as a start. Sassafras is a lovely lumber - especially sweet as fireplace surrounds.

Danny Hamsley
02-21-2012, 9:55 PM
I saw a lot of lumber, and I would cut a mix of thicknesses. Cut some 8/4 stock (2 1/8") from the best grade in the log. This is good stock for table legs or for thick tops. Cut some 5/4 (1 3/8") for table tops. Cut the rest in 4/4 (1 1/8"). These dimensions are for rough cut green off the saw. I would cut 25% 8/4, 25% 5/4, and 50% 4/4. Put the lowest grade in the log in 4/4 since that makes it easier to recovery usable project wood around the defects.

Sam Murdoch
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
...and judging by Danny's professional experience (as suggested by his avatar and looking at his profile) I'm with him :D.

Thomas Bank
02-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank you, Danny. Passed the info along to my friend. I'll let you know how it works out.

I should add that I've used a fair amount of sassafras and greatly enjoy working with it. But what I've been able to acquire has all been 4/4 or less, so I wasn't sure how it would respond to thicker slabs.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
How on earth do you get stuff that big in your tea cup.

Seriously, I've never seen a sassafras tree taller then me.

but I was young and not very tall.

(western PA)

ray hampton
02-22-2012, 5:17 PM
What do you think about using the sassafras wood for a custom Casket ?

Danny Hamsley
02-23-2012, 6:17 AM
It is a beautiful ring porous hardwood that looks like ash with a cinnamon color. I wish that I could get some sassafras logs like those!