PDA

View Full Version : Red oak for bench?

Maurice Ungaro
02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
I 've got the opportunity to pick up some nice red oak. What do you all think about using it for a WORK Bench build? Any issues with long term durability, versus white oak,or maple?

Todd Burch
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
The kind you sit on, use in the shop, or just admire? ;)

I used to restore old cars. The mistake I made was putting all that effort into undesirable cars (akin to making a bench with ugly wood). If it's nice, go for it!

Chris Griggs
02-21-2012, 1:00 PM
Sure! Go for it. There was someone here (Andrew Gibson I think) who made a really nice bench out of red oak that could be easily knocked down too. I think it was a beefed up version of the St. Roy knock down bench. I'm in the camp of the best wood for a bench is the wood you can get that is thick enough, dry enough, and straight enough and clear enough. If its good wood at a good price, I'm guessing it will work just fine.

Zach Dillinger
02-21-2012, 1:14 PM
It will work great! My only complaint would be that it will stain easily, both while you are making it and in use. But if that doesn't bother you, go for it!

Maurice Ungaro
02-21-2012, 1:22 PM
It will work great! My only complaint would be that it will stain easily, both while you are making it and in use. But if that doesn't bother you, go for it!

Zach, I guessing could use a penetrating oil finish to protect from staining. There again, it's a work bench not a dining room table....

Prashun Patel
02-21-2012, 1:28 PM
The staining can be an issue until you seal it.
Also, the porosity of red oak can make it a nuissance to write on or sweep easy.

These are minor inconveniences. If I had that wood at a good price, I'd go for it.

Maurice Ungaro
02-21-2012, 1:35 PM
Oh, btw, it's quarter sawn.

Zach Dillinger
02-21-2012, 1:39 PM
I'm with you re: its a work bench not a table. Some people get hung up on how their workbench looks, so I just wanted to say the part re: staining. I think red oak will be a fine choice if you can get it cheap enough.

Kent A Bathurst
02-21-2012, 1:55 PM
A neighbor was renovating an old house.....ended up tearing out framing and joists. Joists were full 2 x full 8 RO....framined in late 1800's.

I grabbed it. Yield was awful, unless you count firewood.

13 years later, I sitting here typing on it. Couldn't kill it if you tried.

Carl Beckett
02-21-2012, 1:57 PM
I am a big fan of building (whatever) out of the materials on hand.

(in fact, I am considering an outdoor pergola type structure out of red oak - I know it will rot eventually (do wish it were white oak), but it will take many years to do so, and the wood is free, albeit it stained and knotty, should work just fine for a rotting outdoor type of thing....) :)

Joe Fabbri
02-21-2012, 2:02 PM
I'm also a believer in using what you have. And Red oak doesn't seem like a compromise. After all it will still be an Oak workbench. Sure it's not as rot resistant as white oak, but it's a bench kept inside. The only downside I see, like others mentioned, is that it will tend to get dirty on you on account of the grain. I made a quickie rebate plane out of Red Oak, and yes it got dirty right away. But, you'll be flattening the bench every once in a while anyway, so it shouldn't matter too much. And, in fact, I might be making another rebate plane out of red oak soon, because it's what I have on hand that's dry and hard enough.

Joe

john brenton
02-21-2012, 3:13 PM
If you can get SYP I would build out of that and use the RO for something else.

I'm so glad I built out of SYP. For one, it was cheap and easy to work. Two, It's heavy enough to go nuts on, but not too heavy to assemble or move. Three, I don't care if I beat it up and I don't have too much invested in it. If I get tired of my current set up I can easily sell this one for enough money to buy materials for a new bench, probably with money left over to upgrade.

Bryan Schwerer
02-21-2012, 3:50 PM
I may have to side with John Brenton. Especially if you are doing it all by hand. I've been working on a bench (the sitting kind) of quartersawn white oak and man am I sick of quartersawn white oak. It's so hard you are constantly sharpening tools and it seems to tear out a bit if you are not careful and sometimes even if you are. Are you going to laminate the top? Is the QS fleck even going to show. Since you are in Cary, the Apex HD on 55 you can get SYP, much easier to work.

Zahid Naqvi
02-21-2012, 5:49 PM
There are so many other/better uses for QS oak that I'd hate to use it for a work bench. I've seen benches made from red oak and they look gorgeous and hold up remarkably well. Structurally your bench will be as sturdy as Maple. But I look at a work bench as a tool not a piece of furniture, personally I would never use QS oak for a bench, for tool cabinets maybe but not for a workbench.

Oh, btw, it's quarter sawn.

Casey Gooding
02-21-2012, 6:12 PM
Use it. It will be great!!

Danny Hamsley
02-21-2012, 9:50 PM
My work bench is red oak. It is a real work horse, and the patina it has shows that it is well used.

Brian Kent
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
If it's a good buy, go for it. Or use it for fine furniture since it is quarter sawn and if there is something else cheaper.

Mark Denovich
03-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I made mine out of 4/4 red oak I sourced for $1/bf. Needless to say, the wood was a little squirrelly and gluing up that many pieces to make the top wasn't all that fun... but the result was worth it. My bench weighs in around 400lbs and is probably bomb proof. Pics here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/47348

Todd Burch
03-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I made mine out of 4/4 red oak I sourced for $1/bf. Needless to say, the wood was a little squirrelly and gluing up that many pieces to make the top wasn't all that fun... but the result was worth it. My bench weighs in around 400lbs and is probably bomb proof. Pics here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/47348

I made it with the surplus materials I had, which was a he.. of a lot of 4/4 white oak and curly maple (<$1/bf from Craigslist last year) plus a bit of leftover 8/4 white oak I inherited.

I'm confused. Which one did you use?

Maurice Ungaro
03-02-2012, 1:56 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys! I've picked out a gorgeous QS red oak slab for the top, and will use similar material for the base. Now.....when is it going to happen? Ha!

Salem Ganzhorn
03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
My bench is made out of QSWO. It was not high quality and I paid less for it then SYP from the BORG. I used Maloof 3 part finish and wax. My sweat stains oak very easily but my bench is not stained. The finish has protected it fine.The only bad part is it is a little dark in color and it can be splintery if you don't champher the edges. My only regret is going soooooo cheap on the lumber. Straight grained wood is much easier to work. But now that it is done I love it :). By the way I am in Apex and you are welcome to swing by.

Salem

Peter Pedisich
03-02-2012, 10:24 PM
My bench is made out of QSWO. It was not high quality and I paid less for it then SYP from the BORG. I used Maloof 3 part finish and wax. My sweat stains oak very easily but my bench is not stained. The finish has protected it fine.The only bad part is it is a little dark in color and it can be splintery if you don't champher the edges. My only regret is going soooooo cheap on the lumber. Straight grained wood is much easier to work. But now that it is done I love it :). By the way I am in Apex and you are welcome to swing by.

Salem

Salem, that is one fine looking bench.

-Pete

Salem Ganzhorn
03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks Pete! I am firmly in the camp of aesthetics matter for my bench. If I were more product oriented I probably wouldn't care. But I am more process oriented and having tools that fit me make the process more enjoyable.
Salem

Andrew Gibson
03-03-2012, 9:33 AM
I did Build my bench of red oak, as Chris mentioned earlier. I have been using it for a good year now, and it has been a solid bench. I would have no problems building another bench from oak, in fact I am planning to help a friend build a bench from the same oak I build mine from.

Carl Beckett
03-03-2012, 9:46 AM
I have a bunch of red oak I need to find something to do with. Its not pretty but structurally sound. Don't necessarily 'need' another work bench, but this thread has me thinking about it........

Red oak isn't my choice of material, and I have a batch of other wood coming and need the space for it. Was considering an outdoor pergola ( a project I need to do, and figure I would just let the oak slowly rot and would still last for several years ).

A bench sounds more rational.....