PDA

View Full Version : Taper jig, has anyone used this one from Rockler?

John Gregory
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
This can be used for straightening crooked boards too. Any thoughts on this jig?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21731&filter=taper jig

frank shic
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
it'll do the job but you can make one out of scraps as well. the three components would be an auxiliary guide fence, a foot to keep the piece of wood from sliding off and an adjustable screw that you screw into the side to increase the amount of taper. cut the auxiliary fence to the lenth of where you want the taper to BEGIN and you should be good to go. here's a video of the idea:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4427223_assemble-taper-cut-table-saw.html

Chris Kennedy
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I have it. I don't use it very often, but when I do, I think it is great.

Cheers,

Chris

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
This is a thread from back in December asking the same information. A few post down you can see the one I made. It is very similar to the Dubby taper jig sold by Peechtree. I actually used it last night - first time in a while. I forgot the excellent control.

I made mine from parts from Rocler.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?177399-Rockler-Taper-Straight-Line-Jig&highlight=cyrus

Don Morris
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I've got the Dubby and it sure is a copy, which means it will work well.

frank shic
02-21-2012, 1:07 PM
i like the hold down idea vs using my fingers to keep the piece of wood tight to the fence and the table saw surface.

Bill Huber
02-21-2012, 2:25 PM
I made one and the big difference in mine over a lot of them is the fact that I use the table saw fence as the guide and not a miter slot. The reason I like this is because I can take any board and straighten the edge of it. With the ones that use the miter slot you are limited to the width of the jig.
Here is mine, it took all of about 20 min. to make.

224600 224601 224602

John Gregory
02-21-2012, 2:53 PM
I like Bill's jig a lot. I see the advantages to it. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

I made one and the big difference in mine over a lot of them is the fact that I use the table saw fence as the guide and not a miter slot. The reason I like this is because I can take any board and straighten the edge of it. With the ones that use the miter slot you are limited to the width of the jig.
Here is mine, it took all of about 20 min. to make.

224600 224601 224602

Lee Schierer
02-21-2012, 6:56 PM
i like the hold down idea vs using my fingers to keep the piece of wood tight to the fence and the table saw surface.

Instead of fingers use double sided tape.

Steve Rosenlund
02-21-2012, 7:48 PM
I have it and when it gets used, it works well.

frank shic
02-21-2012, 7:57 PM
lee, i like that idea even better for simplicity especially since i'll most likely be making different size tapering jigs depending on the length of the leg. thanks!

Jim Finn
02-21-2012, 7:57 PM
I made one similar to this one and use it to make stars, vases and tapered crosses.

Joe Spear
02-21-2012, 8:22 PM
It does look like the Dubby, which works very well.

Randy Dutkiewicz
02-21-2012, 8:58 PM
Here's the one I built from the plans/video from FWW a while back. Works great!

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/wvt115.asp

Chris Ambroson
02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Do you guys prefer to cut the taper on the front or the back of the jig?
It seems like if the clamps slipped at all, the piece would get jammed between the fence and the blade.

frank shic
02-21-2012, 10:22 PM
anyone ever try just hand planing the tapers? i don't have a decent bench set up right now otherwise that'd be my method of choice. it would see a lot safer although it would probably take forever on thicker legs.

Bill Huber
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
anyone ever try just hand planing the tapers? i don't have a decent bench set up right now otherwise that'd be my method of choice. it would see a lot safer although it would probably take forever on thicker legs.

Frank, have you ever ripped a board on a table saw, if so it is the same thing only safer. The board is clamped down and will not move, the board on my jig is held better then when you rip a board the normal way.

frank shic
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
lol yes i've ripped boards before since i build mainly casework but until last week i had never done a taper on the table saw. those hold downs seem like a good idea and your jig is pretty well-made :)

Todd Bin
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I have one similar to it and it is great. If you go to this link you can watch a couple of videos on how to make one and download a set of plans. I also believe that Charles actually has the patent on this jig. But it is pretty much impossible to enforce so he made it public.

http://www.cn-woodworking.com/taper-jig/

Michael Peet
02-22-2012, 6:47 PM

I have bandsawed off the majority of waste and then planed down to the line.

In many cases I prefer to go bandsaw + handplane rather than tablesaw.

Mike