PDA

View Full Version : My furnace died last night.

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
I posted a question a couple months ago about using a back up heat source in case the power goes out to keep the water in my lasers from freezing. Last night the pressure switch in my furnace quit working so the building went without heat all night. Luckily it was warm last night (only got to about 20F) so it didn't get below freezing in the building. Does anyone know of a back up heat source that can be set to a thermostat to kick in around 50 degrees but not require electric to run? I am thinking of a kerosene heater with a battery powered ignition.

john banks
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
How about antifreeze in your water?

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 1:52 PM
I am running yags which require deionized water so antifreeze is out of the question (it may work for water cooled co2's)

I would like to come up with a system that could light itself unattended and have a 3 day supply of fuel incase for any reason my furnace can not run (could be because of electric outage, mechanical problem or a very unlikely case of a natural gas outage)

George M. Perzel
02-21-2012, 2:24 PM
Hi Joe;
Not sure what your budget is but you can get a small (8KW) natural gas powered generator for under $2k plus a couple hundred more for autosense/switch electronic.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 2:33 PM
George, That is quite a bit over my budget, I would like to keep it under $500. Although your idea wouldn't have helped last night because the electric didn't go out it was a mechanical problem in the furnace.

Mark Sipes
02-21-2012, 3:48 PM
You are asking a lot of a system to sense temp, start a heater and be of substance to last over 72 hours.... why not just get an alarm that calls you and says.... "Hey the temp is dropping below 45*"

http://freezealarms.com/

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 5:44 PM
You are asking a lot of a system to sense temp, start a heater and be of substance to last over 72 hours.... why not just get an alarm that calls you and says.... "Hey the temp is dropping below 45*"

http://freezealarms.com/

Never heard of them, that might be the way to go.

George M. Perzel
02-21-2012, 5:45 PM
Joe;
I think you have to back off and look at the big picture. I estimate you have at least $50 K of laser equipment-probably more. Do you want a system that just alerts you or automatically starts backup services because you can't be there-be it a mechanical problem with the furnace or an electrical outage or whatever? easy to connect a temperature sensor to a relay to start an electric space heater if thats all you are worried about.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 5:57 PM
George,

I think that the alarm may be the way to go because it alerts me to a problem whereas with any other system if the furnace for any reason stops working on a Friday night I won't know about it until Monday morning. And another problem with a back up generator, it wouldn't have done anything last night because it was a problem with the furnace rather than an electric outage.

I think that the alarm is a good way to go or possibly a direct vent propane heater with a 20 lb tank and thermostat if I can find one that uses a battery for ignition (kind of like the old kero heaters) rather than a pilot light.

Mark Sipes
02-21-2012, 6:04 PM
If you read his spec....it can't be 110v......... Depends on whether you are heating just a pipe or the whole room.... Heatline.com might work 12 v dc car batteries with a thermostat...... not sure how much of the laser needs to be heated........and for how long.....

Dennis Rech
02-21-2012, 6:06 PM
Does anyone know of a back up heat source that can be set to a thermostat to kick in around 50 degrees but not require electric to run?

You can get a direct vent natural gas or propane wall furnace with millivolt thermostat from Grainger for about $600-$700. Item ID # 1RD25 or #e588.
No electricity required unless you want to add the optional blower.
They have a sealed combustion chamber as an added benefit.
Even a 15,000 btuh one will keep a medium shop above freezing.
Dennis

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 6:09 PM
If you read his spec....it can't be 110v......... Depends on whether you are heating just a pipe or the whole room.... Heatline.com might work 12 v dc car batteries with a thermostat...... not sure how much of the laser needs to be heated........and for how long.....

The whole shop, there are two lasers and one of them has its chiller in the basement and the laser it self upstairs.

Joe Hillmann
02-21-2012, 6:10 PM
You can get a direct vent natural gas or propane wall furnace with millivolt thermostat from Grainger for about $600-$700. Item ID # 1RD25 or #e588.
No electricity required unless you want to add the optional blower.
They have a sealed combustion chamber as an added benefit.
Even a 15,000 btuh one will keep a medium shop above freezing.
Dennis

Does that light itself from a battery ignition or does it have a pilot light?

Mark Sipes
02-21-2012, 6:21 PM
give them a call

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/branchSearchResults.shtml?mapCursor=&currentAction=searchBranch&mapResizeURL=&branchSearchSuccess=success.branchsearch&branchSearchError=success.branchsearch&searchType=state&searchValue=WI&x=8&y=9

Amy Shelton
02-21-2012, 6:28 PM
We have three ventless LP wall heaters which requires no electricity. The one at our shop/showroom has an electric blower, but it will still heat without power. They all have pilot lights (which you may not want?). They're not expensive (but the gas to run it can be!) and they can be set very low. When we are away from home in the winter, we will set it around 45 or 50, and if our electric heat pump doesn't work, we know the wall units will keep the pipes from freezing.

Google: infrared plaque wall heater

Some allow you to adjust how many plaques to heat up, as well as setting the temperature on the thermostat. Our new one only allows for all the plaques to burn. I asked our gas company about the blue flame, and he didn't recommend it because it causes more moisture/condensation on the glass. We leave our pilot light on when it's cold. I don't think it uses much gas.

My inlaws had a kerosene heater unattended, and it ran out of fuel and caused black sooty smoke everywhere.

Dennis Rech
02-21-2012, 6:48 PM
Does that light itself from a battery ignition or does it have a pilot light?

No battery, just a pilot light. The pilot is what powers the millivolt thermostat.
A pilot light probably costs $5 to $10 a month for gas. Turn it off at the end of March and back on in October. Biggest problem with a pilot light is that it will suck down a 20 pound propane canister in a month or two. Big propane tank or NG is no problem.
Also, the direct vent comes straight out the back of the wall furnace. If you are placing it on a concrete wall, you need to do some roto-hammering.
Dennis

Mark Sipes
02-21-2012, 6:58 PM
Well Joe it's time to prepare for winter. or not. You have been working on a solution for your situation for some time and you even predicted what would happen. as I recall you said back in Dec 2011 -

"At the moment I am thinking of buying a vent less heater and attatching it to the natural gas line that runs to the furnace, Or if that won't work get a 100# propane cylinder so I could run it for weeks without worrying about running out. But am just looking for other options because both of these options are a few hundred dollars, and to fully protect from freezing I would need two heaters because one of my chillers is in the basement and all the lasers are up stairs. "

Lots of great options on the table....

Bill Cunningham
02-21-2012, 8:53 PM
For years in a converted garage, I used a 220v construction heater. Their about 80 bucks, and put out 17,000 BTU's and have a built in thermostat..

matthew knott
02-22-2012, 8:29 AM
I would expect the chiller in your basement to be a normall recirculating chiller and not need di water, it would be a good idea (if thats the case) to stick some antifrezze in it. Do the water pipes go straight from the chiller to the laser head, or do they go from the chiller to another box (this will be a water to water exchanger) or straight to the head? Having said all that im sure Hans have probably told you if you can/cant !! sorry

Ed Hazel
02-22-2012, 9:29 PM
Not at all familiar with your set up but is it possible to run the coolant through a small gas water heater that would kick in at say 40 to 50 deg.?

ray hampton
02-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I keep thinking about a heater for engine blocks oil in Alaska or Canada, I think that the heater are call dipstick heaters, can this be use in your set-up ?