PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Delta Shaper 43-455

Bob Vavricka
02-21-2012, 9:51 AM
Does anyone own a Delta 43-455 shaper ( 5 hp 220v) and be willing to give some feedback on how they like it? From what I can see this shaper is not being manufactured any more and I did see one post about the spindle taper being an odd size. Would $1575 be a good price if it is in good shape? The owner says they bought it in 2006 and it hasn't had much use. It comes with 6 sets of cutters, but I don't know what kind yet. Trying to decide if it is worth driving 60 miles to look at. Thanks.

Stephen Cherry
02-21-2012, 9:59 PM
Bob- I can't say anything about that particular shaper, but the 6 sets of cutters could add up to the value of the shaper in no time. It all depends on what they are and if you would be able to use them. Or if they are something like door sets, they could be fleabayed, and someone would be happy to take them off of your hands. If it has a feeder, that's icing on the cake.

David Kumm
02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
It really depends on the cutter quality. The shaper is listed as $2100 new so I would put it lower in price. If the cutters are Freud or Freeborn, even LRH and something you could use, you are golden. The bigger used shapers are priced much more attractively than the mid sized Delta or PM 27. Dave

Chris Rosenberger
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
I have 2 Delta 43-459 shapers. They are 3 phase versions of the 43-455 shaper. I have not had any problems with them. Depending on the condition & types of cutters included, the price is about right.

Here is a link to reviews on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-43-455-Spindle-5-Horsepower-230-Volt/product-reviews/B000051WU1

Mike Heidrick
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
$1500 is what I got out of mine a couple years ago (also from 2006 as many of us scored them from the amazon clearence days). It had a 3/4" spindle as well as the 1 1/4". No cutters. Mine was drilled for a feeder as well. I liked the machine but that $1500 goes FAR towards a SCMI or better shaper. I went to a big Laguna T1002S and sold the Delta.

Bob Vavricka
02-22-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks for the information. I found out the cutters are Grizzly with a new value of $250 - $300. So I think I'll wait for something else or see if the price comes down more.

Stephen Cherry
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
If you like the machine, and the add has been up for a while, I think it's perfectly fine to make an offer. Maybe 800 spacebucks? All they can do is curse you out.

Jerome Hanby
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I think it's always alright to make an offer. You just never know. I made an email offer of as much as I could afford on a Hegner scroll saw and ended up taking it home. If I recall correctly, I pretty much phrased it that way and told them to keep me in mind if they had problems selling it.

Jeff Duncan
02-23-2012, 2:36 PM
Here's my 2 cents, if your looking to get into your first shaper these are a decent entry level machine. I sold my 02' Delta for less than half that and was happy to get rid of it. His price is way high, (at least in my opinion), for that machine even with the cutters. I later sold my Powermatic 27 for about that much but it was a considerably better quality machine IMHO, and i bought it new maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

Having said all that, if your had the ability and/or desire to run 3 phase equipment you could pick yourself up a much better quality machine for about that much!

good luck,
JeffD