PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Bowls

Dick Rowe
02-21-2012, 4:32 AM
A friend gave me a small branch which had been removed from a box elder tree. You could see the red colored streaks in the ends of the branch, but I had no idea what it would be like when I opened it up.

I got six small bowls (3-5" dia, 2-3" tall) out of the branch. Four of them are in the attached pic.

Most folks I talked to say that box elder is just a 'trash' wood, and the bugs that infest it are a real problem .. but this stuff was some of the easiest wood I have ever turned .. and I sure want to get my hands on some more!

John Keeton
02-21-2012, 7:01 AM
Dick, as far as a yard tree, it pretty much is a "trash tree." It is very weak, breaks out in wind storms, and is susceptible to a host of infestations.

However, it is some very nice wood to turn, as you found out! And, if you can find a burl, they are awesome.

Great work on the bowls, and the colors are really nice. Over time, they will probably fade - but, you certainly can enjoy it will it is there.

Allan Ferguson
02-21-2012, 9:11 AM
Love that color.

Ken Glass
02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Dick,
Although Box Elder is a very soft wood, it always surprises you with astonishing colors like those when it makes those great Red flames. Those are very nice. Well Done.

Ted Evans
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Beautiful set Dick, great colors.

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Good looking bowls! I've heard that if you use some form of UV protection in the finish, that will help the colors from fading.

Tim Rinehart
02-21-2012, 2:12 PM
Nice looking set with loads of red...love it. As said, the colors will fade over time, so enjoy them as much as you can...and yes, watch for the burls on this tree, they can be stunning.

Dick Rowe
02-21-2012, 3:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Too bad the striking coloration doesn't last ... just have to enjoy it while it does!

Harry Robinette
02-21-2012, 9:26 PM
I've heard that General Finishes High Performance water base poly will help keep the red. Only problem is it's water base so it tones down the color.
I got some box elder that I'm going to try it on when I turn it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Great looking bowls and the color is spectacular.