PDA

View Full Version : Curio Cabinet Glass question

ed vitanovec
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm building a corner Curio Cabinet and the construction is basic Stile and Rails, the glass and mirrors will go in a rabbit. I'm going to get the Mirror and Glass ordered this week and I'm debating on how to secure the Glass and Mirrors. I can buy those plastic clips that are held in place with screws or use Silicone to hold the Glass and Mirror in place. I'm thinking the Silicone will look better, what do you all think or suggest?

Thanks!
Ed

Brian Hughner
02-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Ed,

I've built a few cabinets with glass doors and panels and I've had real good luck using a rubber retaining strip. I know Woodcraft and other places sell the strips in 10' lengths. I've used the clear rubber strip but it also comes in other colors.

Here is a link showing the strip and how its installed. Works really well. Holds the glass very tight, and can be easily removed when you need to replace a broken piece of glass.

http://cabinetdoorskitchen.com/installing-glass-panels/glass-retainer-4-sawmillcreak-org/

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2012, 1:32 AM
IMHO those plastic clips are ugly, so's silicone caulk, and the rubber retaining strips aren't much better. You're hand-building a beautiful piece of wood furniture. Why use that stuff?

Here's a simple way to use wood as the glass stop. You mill a double rabbet around the inside edge of the opening. I generally use #4 wood screws to retain the glass stop.

Don Kondra
02-21-2012, 7:52 AM
I like to install my glass from the front and use a visible molding that is proud of the door face.

Brass linoleum nails hold it in place :)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/Bottommoulding.jpg

Cheers, Don

Sam Murdoch
02-21-2012, 3:46 PM
That's nice Don, and the same treatment works on the inside. Even a little 45º angle piece works nicely bradded in to be secure but easily removable by the next generation. No double rabbet needed. As you might be able to tell I agree with Jamie's comment, "why use that stuff?"

Ryan Baker
02-21-2012, 9:36 PM
I use a custom wooden moulding too.

I have not had good experience at all with the rubber strips. Maybe it is just the kind I have. With the recommended groove size, it is really hard to install and really good at splitting small rails. Stepping up one size slot cutter it gets too loose. You can use the nail-on kind, but then you might as well make a moulding.

Dan Hahr
02-22-2012, 1:49 AM
I use wood strips sized to match the thickness and width of the doors, usually not smaller than 1/4 by 1/4. I don't miter them unless the muntins and doors are mitered. I half lap the stops where they need to be to basically make the muntins appear to be one piece. It takes 18 pieces (I think) to do a 6 light door. On my last one, I got in a hurry and used my pin nailer. Best idea ever. Doors are still tight with little to no rattling.
Dan

Dan Hahr
02-22-2012, 1:52 AM
Looking back, I half lapped the outer stops on the two sides, but just used 4 stops per light on the doors. Its a lot of extra work, but I think it is worth it. It allows for easy removal of the stops in case a pane of glass gets broken.

Dan