PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.

Spent Saturday traveling to Corinth, MS and back again to return my SIL's two kids. I'm just glad that they met us "half way" from their place to ours.....that just happens to be a 268 mile one way trip. I was good having their kids here...all the yougnuns had a great time.

The Walnut table that I've been making with our family doctor is now finished and I think that it came out pretty good for a first time of making a table from scratch...to include the 4 turned legs. I'll take a pic or two of it today / tonight.

Roughed out two more persimmon bowls and a cherry bowl on Sunday evening. The cherry bowl roughed out to be 8" and each of the persimmon bowls roughed out to be between 11" and 12".

Also worked more on putting facing strips on the Hutch / Entertainment center for a buddy at work and did most of that Friday night. So....I guess that's all I did this weekend.....

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....

David Wilson
03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Finished up 2 turned bird houses and cleaned the shop. Also client picked up the liquor
cabinet and gave me $25.00 more than the quoted price. I guess he liked it.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I had a wonderful weekend in the shop! I am building a cradle for my sister, I picked up the wood on Friday. By Sunday afternoon I had all of the parts cut out, except for the slats. I am waiting on my mortiser (super stealth gloat) to cut all of the mortises.

Lou Morrissette
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Spent four days at my son's 1827 farm house in northern NH dealing with plaster and lath removal. Not one of my favorite things. Definately dust mask time. We reframed, drywalled, taped and mudded one bedroom. No shop time this weekend.

Lou

Keith Christopher
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Was kinda warm this weekend so I spent the time cleaning up my fence. I had a ton of old briars and rose bushes that have grown out of control. My arms are a good witness to just how much abuse I took at the hands of the thorns. I also pruned out my apple trees and remove a large section of my fence needing repair. No shop time but I got alot done. :)

Scott Coffelt
03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
It was actually a very long week and a nice weekend. I had to travel to New Orleans for work last week, yes I had a few pops (drinks) while I visited that nice dirty city. Too many late nights. I also got to attend a gala that had Jay Leno doing his jig. A pretty funny dude.

Got home Wednesday night and then headed to Mike Mastin's place for some Birdseye Maple. Made the 8 hour drive and loaded up a tad under 200 bdft. Headed back to KC. Stopped about the Oklahoma/Kansas line for the night. I meant to get a pic of the wood this weekend, but never got to it. I'll try and post this week.

Friday night, Saturday and Sunday were spent on house prep. I painted the mater bathroom and office, also touched up trim paint. Started packing boxes for storage.

Finally, wone two Bailey plans from Ebay. I got a #4C and a #5. The #5 is in rusty shape, but I think it was a fair price. Lost out on a couple of others, but that's OK.

Matt Meiser
03-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Finished up my router table and did some cleanup in the shop. I also mounted microswitches a friend gave me on all of my blast gates in preparation for having my dust colleciton turn on when I open a gate and off when I close the last gate. I still need to get wiring, a relay, and a low voltage power supply to complete that.

Other than that, not much as I'm fighting a bad cold.

Mike Weaver
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Saturday, my wife and I went to some Cub Scout Leader training.

Sunday, I spent some time in the shop working on my over-engineered lumber rack and, of course, played with my 2 kids.:D

-Mike

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 1:51 PM
Aside from completing the Mantle Capper project detailed in other threads, I also prepared a final "counter" top for the glass-front bookcase in the kitchen. While I was originally going to put soapstone on that cabinet to match the work surfaces, I decided that a simple white lacquer top was more appropriate. This weekend's fabrication included scribing the piece to the stone "fabulous fake fireplace" on one end and to the wall behind the cabinet for a close fit. It was then edge banded, sanded and ready to be sprayed when I get around to it. That was the "in between everything else project"...

The other major work was the installation of three glass pendant lamps over our dining table that now resides in the great room. A 10' piece of Unistrut was outfitted with the necessary electrical boxes and connections and placed between the two 8" x 8" barn beams that cross the room and tie the structure together. (Dr. SWMBO had to help a little with that effort, holding one end balanced on a beam while I went up the ladder on the other end to set the bar on the beam) All the "above ground" electrical is done and although it's surface mount on a vertical barn beam post, pre-painting with flat black pretty much made it disappear. I still need to run a new circuit under the crawl space to a j-box to get everything fired up, but am pleased with the installation. Some pics below of that work.

Other than that, it was a typical weekend. Shop time. Shopping time. Eating good food. DVD of the week was In America.

Frank Pellow
03-21-2005, 2:04 PM
...The other major work was the installation of three glass pendant lamps over our dining table that now resides in the great room.

I can see why you call it the "great room" Jim. Nice choice of lights and nice job of installing them.

Frank Pellow
03-21-2005, 2:18 PM
I finished building and installing the Murphy bed (two pictures attached) that I have referred to a couple of times in the past. The bed hardware and plans come from Create-a-Bed whose web site is at: http://www.wallbed.com/

I found their plans to be very good (they even send along a video which is also quite good) and their hardware to be excellent. There were no hitches at all in the construction and installation.

I also built 14 drawers to be used with rolling cabinets in my shop and in the kitchen. Now. All I need to do is to build the cabinets.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 2:28 PM
Nice, job on that Murphy bed. 'Wish I could do that in our present guest room, Frank! Unfortunately...the ceiling is too low...

Jim O'Dell
03-21-2005, 2:45 PM
Dennis, I thought we were going to have to put the dogs out to find you this am to start the thread!! I used up all my morning websense time and when it finally came up, I had a customer drive in and I didn't have time to respond. Well, they do call it work for a reason ;-).
I took Friday off from work. Beautiful weather here all weekend. Got the caulking and filling done on the North wall of the shop rehab, and started tearing off the West wall on Friday. Had to work 1/2 day Sat am, but got the north wall painted and the rest of the siding and trim off the West wall that afternoon. Sunday was spent tearing down the studs on the West wall, and rebuilding that wall, 1/2 of the wall at a time. (This was originally a carport, so there is a 10" header, all 1 piece, along that wall with a 4 X 6 post in the middle, so no real worry about it falling down, although I did add about 3 temporary support studs when I cut the 4 X 6 out.) Got all of that rebuilt and the center box bay window partially framed out. I spent the evening tending to sore muscles and designing the box bay structure. All in all a GREAT weekend! Jim.

JayStPeter
03-21-2005, 2:49 PM
My wife and kids were visiting the outlaws this weekend, so I was free to do as I pleased.
On Saturday I went tool shopping with a buddy. I only got the secondary tool buying rush as he bought some welding equipment (no worries, I have a gloat on order). It'll be good to know someone who welds ... once he learns that is.
Sunday, I spent a good part of the day in the shop on the never ending poker table project. I started prep for finish by sanding and sanding a little more. I filled some dings with epoxy and sanded a little more. Once I completed sanding, I noticed I needed to sand a little more. I also started playing with finishing options on some scrap. Did I mention sanding?

Jay

John Branam
03-21-2005, 2:52 PM
I got about 90% done with a cabinet for the shop. It is amazing how much more you can get done when you are organized and work smarter. Something i have not been on recent projects.:o

Frank Pellow
03-21-2005, 2:53 PM
Nice, job on that Murphy bed. 'Wish I could do that in our present guest room, Frank! Unfortunately...the ceiling is too low...
Thanks Jim. I know what you mean about the ceiling being too low. I had less than 3" clearence (and I had to work in that space in order to anchor the bed to the wall).

You can get bed plans and hardware for a bed that opens horizontaly. That's what I am building in the guest cabin at Pellow's Camp. Have you considered one of tyhose for your guest room?

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 3:02 PM
You can get bed plans and hardware for a bed that opens horizontaly. That's what I am building in the guest cabin at Pellow's Camp. Have you considered one of tyhose for your guest room?Still not enough room for a queen sized bed to fold up even sideways. The ceiling is really low in that old stone portion of the house!

Bill Lewis
03-21-2005, 3:16 PM
Took Delivery of the new Unisaw on Friday. I was able to get it down to the (basement) shop in the tractor bucket. I wired the outlet for it, and gave it a test run with a blade, I found that the belts needed tightening. They have a set, and consequently, a vibration to them that I hope will go away over time. The CI wings might also dampen the vibration. Occurs mosty while the motor spins down after shutoff. I did put on the bies splitter, but I can't do much more with assembly until the mobil base gets here. They're B/O'd, so no telling when I'll get it. I'm hopin' sooner rather than later. I was able to process all the rebate stuff and get that in the mail. I guess this means I gotta go take pictures a post a gloat.

On Sunday, I made a box with the leigh jig. I bought the D4 at an auction prolly about 2.5 years ago (b4 moving in to new house), and hadn't tried it out yet. I made the box out of some scrap oak. Turned out nice for a first time on the jig. BTW I used thru DT's. Gotta work on DC for it. I did buy the router attachment, but didn't use it. Not sure if I will.

JayStPeter
03-21-2005, 3:27 PM
I found that the belts needed tightening. They have a set, and consequently, a vibration to them that I hope will go away over time. The CI wings might also dampen the vibration. Occurs mosty while the motor spins down after shutoff.

I had the same problem with mine when I got it. If you tighten the belts too much, you will get the startup clunk. Final solution was to call Delta who promptly sent me out new belts. Been smooth ever since.

Jay

Maurice Ungaro
03-21-2005, 4:47 PM
Continued on the project that I started on last weekend - installing two dozen cross ties (REALLY laden with creosote, and REAL heavy) for landscaping purposes. Somehow, I don't think I've seen the end of this project, as I probably need at least another two dozen to complete everything.

Maurice

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 5:49 PM
More remodelling work for me. Textured the new section of ceiling put up last weekend and after spending the week removing wallpaper from the entryway and hallway, I did a stucco like finish on the walls. Turned out very cool and the wife loves it. Watched the nascar race in between and the wife felt inclined to buy me a new jig saw. All in all, a great weekend.

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2005, 6:00 PM
I was on call last week. Saturday I worked around the house and began installing the vapor barrier on the walls of my new shop. Sunday, I completed the vapor barrier installation and began installing 1/2" CDX on the walls. When the sheet goods were delivered on Thursday, the plywood was on top. With 10' ceiling height, I'm going to install 8' of the CDX on the walls starting from the bottom up. Doing this should reduce the number of times this old man has to handle the plywood. Then I'll install the 5/8" S/R on the ceiling and complete the last 2' of CDX that abutts the ceiling. This next weekend begins my week of vacation when I hope to complete the walls and ceiling!

Joe Mioux
03-21-2005, 8:44 PM
Delivered 300 Easter Lilies on Saturday, did greenhouse stuff, started to do some WW, but switched to yard work. Got the main water garden cleaned, cut and burned the ornamental grasses and hung out with my two girls, Jennifer and Christina.

Joe

Dan Mages
03-21-2005, 8:57 PM
I went down to Phoenix AZ to deliver my latest project. It was a gift for the guy who set up the car show at the Anthem Day's Fair. I think the look on his face tells you how much he likes it.

Dan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/P1010154.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/P1010176.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/P1010177.jpg

Tony Falotico
03-21-2005, 9:14 PM
No foot / knee and/or back pain ... first time in three weeks !! :)
Two great days in the shop, in between fixing and arranging stuff made progress on workbench base.. sneak preview was taken Saturday evening, got the second tray and doors made Sunday. Cut the doors slightly small, had problems with hinges and drawers slides clearing each other -- the door size can be fixed by adding a strip on the hinge end, ordered new hinges this am that should work.

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 9:48 PM
Dan, that is a sweet looking piece. No doubt he was estatic. Nice work.

Tony, that is going to be one great looking work bench!! Nice work!

Corey