PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite hollowform...thank you Kathy!

Tim Rinehart
02-20-2012, 10:41 PM
This is my first time turning mesquite and like many of us, I have Kathy Marshall to thank. This was in my Christmas goodie package and is the second piece of wood from Kathy I've turned...another first, and I knew I'd like it. A huge thank you again Kathy...time for me to start thinking about that big piece of dalbergia sissoo...!

A very earthy warm look to this mesquite wood, I hope I did it justice. It can be frustrating trying to get a fluid stretched form without flat spots...and alot of time with a straightedge and back light. This is my third similar type form, but this one is my favorite with the elongated form, and it's getting easier, so I didn't find I needed to get my calipers out as often as the first of these I did.

The wood was green...and I turned it to about 3/16" max...so hopefully won't see too much distortion, but it may be that I got the pics in the nick of time....but hopefully not an issue.

8" tall x 3.5" diam. AO finish, hand buffed only. C&C welcome.

David DeCristoforo
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Beautiful!!! My only experience with mesquite would indicate that it is very stable even when wet.

Baxter Smith
02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the mesquite. Its a great wood to turn and to look at. Very pretty Tim!

Marty Eargle
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Very, very nice. Gotta love that warm feeling that mesquite offers. Kathy is a saint, and if this is any indication of how the piece I turn from the platter blank she sent me is going to look...I'm excited. Hope your piece stays free from the wobbles.

Kathy Marshall
02-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Very very nice Tim! I really like the form on that one with just the barest suggestion of a neck. The curve looks great and that chunk of mesquite looks like it has some nice color to it. I don't think you'll see much distortion. You might notice a little if it had a tight fitting lid.

Scott Hackler
02-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Very nice piece Tim. I wouldn't worry about it moving much, if at all.

Robert McGowen
02-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Nice form. I like the minimal lip and the turned in base. Looks like the straight edge and back light paid off.

charlie knighton
02-21-2012, 3:14 AM
great piece Tim, love that mesquite

Michelle Rich
02-21-2012, 6:20 AM
very nice tall form

John Keeton
02-21-2012, 6:52 AM
Very nice piece, Tim!! Kathy sent me a piece of mesquite and I turned a lidded (suction fit) urn from it. After it dried, the lid fit perfectly - NO movement at all. It was turned end grain like your vase, so I suspect you will not experience any movement.

Ken Glass
02-21-2012, 7:54 AM
Tim,
I really love the form on the piece. Finnish looks very fitting for it also. Well Done.

Harvey Ghesser
02-21-2012, 8:59 AM
Nice form Tim.

Sparky Paessler
02-21-2012, 9:02 AM
looks great! love the warm tones of the mesquite. Great shape also.