PDA

View Full Version : Henry Taylor and Two Cherries in-cannel gouges?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-20-2012, 9:30 PM
I've run into a handful of situations where it's occurred to me, that hey, an in cannel gouge would be perfect - but well, I don't have any. So I either struggle along with my standard out cannel gouges, or go to rasps and files.

All the used in cannel gouges I've run across used have really weirdly shaped cutting edges and the round backs have big flat spots on them from poor sharpening. And they aren't in great shape otherwise, either.

So I've been looking, and it seems like the only new in cannel gouges I've seen are by Henry Taylor or Two Cherries. I don't have any experience with either of these. All my new gouges are Ashley Iles, which I really like - and I feel like they used to make in cannel gouges, but I haven't seen any, and I don't really feel like grinding out an out cannel gouge backwards. It's a shame they don't seem to sell in cannel tools anymore, because I'd buy at least a few.

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations or experience with the Two Cherries or Henry Taylor gouges, particularly their in cannel gouges?

Jim Koepke
02-20-2012, 9:54 PM
Almost all of my gouges are used and have been acquired through dealers of antiques or ebay.

I purchased one Henry Taylor piece and was not greatly impressed. It is okay, I am just used to something a bit more substantial.

A Two Cherries came in a group of tools my brother bought an likewise I prefer the older tools. That is just my opinion. I could see where many carvers might not like a long shafted heavier tool.

The biggest problem from buying through on line auctions is most sellers have no idea how to tell the sweep of the tool and most of them take terrible pictures for seeing what is being bought.

The next problem as one acquires a larger group of gouges, it is difficult to find the fillers for the holes.

jtk

Joel Moskowitz
02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Ashley Iles will be happy to make all the incannel gouges you wish. We special order them as needed. It takes about 4-6 weeks. The cost is about $15 above a regular out cannel gouge. The key point is that if you take an incannel gouge and match it against the same number outcannel gouge (by the same maker) the cutting edges should match exactly.

Two cherries makes 4 sizes of incannell gouges but they don't match any partiular sweep. We stock those too.

Jack Curtis
02-20-2012, 10:33 PM
I have a couple or three Two Cherries which are fine, except I really don't like their handles. I've been searching for gouges, specifically scribing gouges, on ebay for a couple of months and have seen many incannels which look good. Just yesterday picked up a set of 9 Addis gouges which look beautiful, will confirm when they arrive.

However, barring ebay, I'd look at the Japanese new gouges, say by Takahashi. Incannel versions are also on ebay, occasionally.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-21-2012, 9:27 AM
Yeah, I haven't used the two cherries, but I'm don't think I'm a big fan of their handles comparing them visually to handles I do like.

It's good to know that AI can make them, it didn't even occur to me.

I guess I really need to think about what sweeps I would need - kind of hard to tell, honestly; I think I'm just looking for a handful of gouges to get me close when coping molding or paring concave details on the edges on things. Struck me in particular when shaping the arms on this bowsaw I'm playing around on (sort of inspired by Will Anderson's plans in PWW)

I've just been poking around ebay a bit - I may grab some there as well, that look useful to me if I can get them cheap enough.

Jack Curtis
02-21-2012, 3:40 PM
...I guess I really need to think about what sweeps I would need - kind of hard to tell, honestly; I think I'm just looking for a handful of gouges to get me close when coping molding or paring concave details on the edges on things....

Have you considered using a small knife for this task? Unlimited sweep. :)

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-21-2012, 6:29 PM
Have you considered using a small knife for this task? Unlimited sweep. :)

I have, and do for some things - other times, the way the piece is constructed, ( either the grain of he wood, or thickness of the stock) I'd really prefer going across the grain (and often do with a bevel out gouge, but an incannel gouge would be a little easier.

Chris Vandiver
02-21-2012, 7:06 PM
Ashley Iles will be happy to make all the incannel gouges you wish. We special order them as needed. It takes about 4-6 weeks. The cost is about $15 above a regular out cannel gouge. The key point is that if you take an incannel gouge and match it against the same number outcannel gouge (by the same maker) the cutting edges should match exactly.

Two cherries makes 4 sizes of incannell gouges but they don't match any partiular sweep. We stock those too.

That's good to know. With matched pairs, the possibilities are endless.

James Taglienti
02-23-2012, 7:48 PM
I want to say that Incannel gouges were mostly used by patternmakers. If you want a full set you might have to go vintage... The good news is that they are often found in sets since patternmakers kept them that way and also they arent very useful to the average meathead (paintcans and breaking down crates, etc). The bad news is that more often than not they are crank necks. I have some buck brothers that cut nicely. Patternmakers usually took very good care of their tools, too.

Condition should be a big factor as the cutting edge is around the outside of the tool and prone to rusting and other damage. They arent near as easy to correct as old chisels.