PDA

View Full Version : Captain's Bed plan

Larry Browning
02-20-2012, 8:56 PM
I bought a downloadable plan called Captain's Bed Youth Single from a place called projectplans2000.com. http://www.projectplans2000.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_94&products_id=123
This has to be the worst set of plans I have ever seen! I don't think I can use the plan, I spent the better part of an hour trying to understand it and I have come to the conclusion that this thing was a waste of 10 bucks.
I am still looking for a simple but nice youth captain's bed plan that has 1 row of drawers. This one was the only one I could find that I liked and I can't build it from this plan.
Any suggestions as to where I can find a decent plan?

HANK METZ
02-20-2012, 9:21 PM
Their policy:
RETURNS: As we sell Intellectual Property and make custom wood products to order we do not offer refunds.-Does not relieve them of the responsibility to provide technical support and satisfaction of their offerings. I would contact them with the reasons why you cannot proceed with their plans that you purchased and put the burden on them to clarify any issues you feel are keeping you from moving ahead with your project.

Link to a google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=captain's+bed+plan&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=S60&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=O_9CT5isDMTSgQeZn6ShCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ&biw=1334&bih=917

- Beachside Hank

Nick Lazz
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I built one for my youngest son, no plans however it was a very simple design. I built the bed frame separate from the drawers. Basically the drawer unit slides underneath the bed. I did this in order to reduce bulk and make it easier if I ever wanted to move it....and get it in his room.
I used bed rail hardware that I mounted between the head and foot posts. Below you will see a picture of what the foot board looks like. I had plans to make a separate headboard that incorporated an open cabinet for alarm clock, toys to display etc. The picture next to that shows what the drawers look like. Sorry, I took a picture of the finished bed but the picture isn't that good.
So basically the bed rails and footboard connect with the bedrail hardware. I built a face frame and attached it to a plywood box to fit the drawers which are 18". This also gives a nice open storage space on the back side of the bed for a fort or for storing toy boxes etc.

So there you go...no cut list but it's free!

Larry Browning
02-21-2012, 8:00 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Hank,
This plan is so bad, it has no hope. They would have to redo every page. I have given up on it completely. It is not worth my time to contact them. That link you sent is where I started looking. The only one I found in there that I liked was the one I ordered.

Nick,
Yours looks nice, but it is not quite what I have in mind. Plus I don't do well without a plan.

If I had any sketchup skills at all I would attempt drawing it myself, but I just know it would be a disaster.

I was really hoping that someone would have a recommendation for a plan they had already built, or even one I could modify to meet my needs.