PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Wood

Scott Uhl
02-20-2012, 6:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a novice woodworker (and this is my first post to the forum too, so let me know if I'm doing this wrong), and I have a question about wood sources. I'm in the Northern California area, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for finding sources of reclaimed/recycled wood. Other than getting lucky and meeting someone in the process of tearing down a barn, is there a good way to find reclaimed stock?

Thanks!
Scott

Stephen Cherry
02-20-2012, 6:41 PM
Maybe craigslist materials

Jerome Hanby
02-20-2012, 6:47 PM
Maybe craigslist materials

That's exactly where I look. Hooked up with a private mill operator near me that way for some nice white oak...

Brian Fennell
02-20-2012, 9:03 PM
I look on Craigslist and one of the auction sites here in MN that often has stock.

Jeff Duncan
02-21-2012, 9:55 AM
There are many companies on the left coast that deal in reclaimed lumber. Be aware that it can sometimes be as expensive or more so than new lumber. Redwood in particular is popular out there as it was a heavily used material back in the day. Start with google....it's amazing what you can find with a couple keystrokes. Also as was mentioned CL may be a way to find some less expensive alternatives.

good luck,
JeffD

Jamie Buxton
02-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Are you looking for barn wood because you like the weathered surface? Or are you looking for recycled wood because you like the "green-ness"? If the latter, you might also consider urban salvage. In this, trees which grew in the city, and which are coming down for some other reason than lumber, are converted to lumber, keeping them out of landfills. Craiglist SF and Sacramento (under For Sale, Materials) often have listings like this. Plywood and Lumber Sales, in Oakland, often sells it.

Thomas S Stockton
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
These guys are in petaluma www.heritagesalvage.com