PDA

View Full Version : Cute Joinery Bench

Jared McMahon
02-20-2012, 6:14 PM
Tripped over this while searching for workbench images to get some ideas:

Found it on some auction aggregator site. Dimensions are listed as 30" H, 15" W, 31" L, wood is listed as walnut, age is given as ~1850.

Figured I'd post it because it's just generally neat, and there are occasional discussions of dedicated joinery benches. But it's also pertinent to me right now. I'm now in a place where I can really sort out the work-holding options on my current bench, but it's got one fundamental flaw. When I was gluing it up, I used the wrong type of screws to hold the flat laminations together and the heads snapped off a bunch of them. So if I want to excavate sections of it for vises, I have a whole lot of little landmines just waiting for my router bits and saw blades. I'm thinking of drilling the rest of the dog holes (which I can do safely), calling it done, and building something like the above.

Or just wait a day or two and I'll have changed my mind a handful of times. :D

Sam Murdoch
02-20-2012, 6:25 PM
Very cool. Obviously for an itinerant woodworker - maybe on a sailing ship? Fun to imagine where it's been :confused:.

Zach England
02-20-2012, 6:54 PM
Why is there an iron cap on top of the leg vise chop?

Salem Ganzhorn
02-20-2012, 7:01 PM
Wow, that is one massive holdfast. Looks just like the one on the Roubo plate that Christopher Scwartz recently had copied.
Salem

Joe Bailey
02-20-2012, 8:07 PM
Why is there an iron cap on top of the leg vise chop?
Possibly a repair, or there for reinforcement.

Brandon Craig
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the holdfast was the first thing I noticed. And only one dog hole too, it seems, but I guess with such a small work surface the holdfast can reach any part of the bench. I could just see some dude using this thing for a wine display or something. Also, makes me wonder how much our benches will sell for in 150 years.

george wilson
02-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I swear,I think that short bench would have to be bolted to the wall to not tip over with using a plane on it.