PDA

View Full Version : A few pictures of another marquetry guitar that I made

george wilson
02-20-2012, 3:11 PM
Unfortunately,these are the only 2 pictures I have of this guitar. For personal reasons,I sold it before I had gotten around to making complete pictures of it. It since has been played in the taverns of Williamsburg by the musician who bought it. I should track him down.

The sides were inlaid with conventional marquetry,but the back is the most interesting part,since it makes a sort of optical puzzle. In the 17th.C.,these type of things were popular. Today,we have Escher,with his stairways that lead nowhere,and cleverly drawn impossibilities.

The peghead of the guitar has ebony and holly marquetry,and in the center an ivory oval with a group of flowers in it in abalone. These flowers would make sense after they were separated by subsequent engraving. The sides of the peghead were made of stacked layers of black and white veneers,chiseled (not sawn) into a scalloped design. Unfortunately,no pictures of this either.

I think I have seen this guitar hanging in the shop in a picture of the staff,or of a general view of the shop. If I can find it,I'll post it so you can get a view of the sides of the guitar.

P.S.:I found a picture that shows the guitar. It is hanging up behind me in this posed news release photo taken about 1975 or so. It is right over my head,with the ivory heart inlaid in the lower bout of the top. This guitar actually was fancier than the other marquetry guitar as far as the face and fingerboard are concerned. Around the edge of the top there is a band of inlay composed of walnut and holly parallelograms bordered by black veneer strips. The ebony line inlays in the top are similar in type,but not copies of any other inlays. I always liked to design these type of things differently each time.

The ivory heart would not have appeared to look so "white" after it was subsequently scrimshawed with designs. You do not want to make a design of this nature with a big object in it that stands out too boldly. The fingerboard of this guitar was composed of inlay work,with 3 or 4 ivory panels that were scrimshawed with pastoral scenes. Too bad it can't be seen.

You can just see 1 side of the guitar,in black and white marquetry with foliage and mythological creatures.

I am filing down the silver inlaid neck of the original marquetry guitar that I posted here before.

On the bench is a guitar form with the staves of the back being glued up. I always used horse shoe nails for clamping these strips because they have nice flat sides that do not dent the wood. The guitar mold is made of solid pine,with the arched back carved on it. The shape of the guitar is sawn out of the solid wood. This made it easy to plane the varying curves onto the sides of the guitar where they meet the back.

Way in the back left hand corner is a press made of 4" oak,which I still have,taken from Diderot.

Sorry these pictures are not complete,but I thought the guitar's back might give someone ideas to adapt for a project of his or her own. A tray,small table,etc..

David Weaver
02-20-2012, 3:15 PM
George, you know what my favorite question is....does it sound good, or is it just for show? :p

I edited your statement above to read the following:

It since has been played in the taverns of Williamsburg by the musician who bought it. I should track him down, take the guitar from him, and send it to David Weaver.

there...that looks about right.

John Coloccia
02-20-2012, 3:34 PM
Symmetrical shapes are always the toughest, aren't they?

...especially when there's lots of them.

george wilson
02-20-2012, 4:01 PM
David,the guitar's vaulted back did not vibrate,just contained the air inside the guitar. It made no difference what was done with it inlay wise.

I never did like these little guitars,but had to make them as I was in a museum setting. The most fun I had with them was to design inlay work,soundhole rosettes,and things like that.

John,yes,you do have to saw accurately,or it will stick out badly in a group of inlays like this.

I can't recall,but I must have made the yew wood deep throat saw by this time to encompass the back and especially the sides of this guitar.

Klaus Kretschmar
02-20-2012, 4:30 PM
Great work as usual, George! Too bad that there are not some more pics...What blows me away another time is the fantastic precision of that inlay work.

Klaus

Leigh Betsch
02-20-2012, 6:02 PM
Fantastic George. And Happy Birthday, that 'other' thread got locked up before I could post a proper happy birthday in it.
I don't know how you could ever possibly do this type of work with out one of those Knew saws.

george wilson
02-20-2012, 6:23 PM
It has been scientifically proven that yew wood is as strong per weight as titanium. That's my story,and I'm sticking to it.

Actually,we had an old Dutch cabinet maker as cabinet maker when I first arrived at the museum. He had been made to make wooden propellers and wings for the Nazis during WWII. He said they tested a wooden wing that was experimental,and found it to be as strong as a metal one. Even if it was for the enemy,he was still proud of his work!!

It is funny that an advanced aircraft like the late war F.W. 190(which was shooting down Spitfires) had a wooden propeller. The English rushed an improved Spit,Mark 9,into production to equal the FW 190. Spits and Hurricanes both started out with big,fat 2 bladed wooden props. The Hurricane was all fabric aft of the cockpit,and stayed that way through the war. The latest fighter,the Tempest,that the English introduced in propeller aircraft,was fabric fuselage,too. Went about 450 MPH,IIRC..

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-20-2012, 6:34 PM
The back of that guitar is striking and beautiful. I echo John's comments about doing that kind of work - no room for little errors or the whole thing looks off.

I find all of your posts pretty darn inspiring, but the design on the back of that guitar speaks to me for some reason. Something to aspire too, I suppose.

Is the back of that guitar flat or arched?

george wilson
02-20-2012, 6:40 PM
It is arched. I never made flat backed 18th.C. guitars,though some were. Marcus made some flat back ones.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-20-2012, 6:46 PM
Had I thought for a moment, I would have realized it had to be - I just couldn't quite tell from the photo.

makes the marquetry on the back there even more impressive!

george wilson
02-20-2012, 6:50 PM
Joshua,I am glad it speaks to you. I hear voices too!!:) Usually,when I get fully awake,I find out it's my wife yelling at me!!:)

It's hard to tell it's arched. The staves are just barely barrel shaped. Must be the picture.

Brent VanFossen
02-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Lovely, George. Your work is quite an inspiration.

Shaun Mahood
02-21-2012, 12:51 AM
Amazing George, I would love to have a peghead like that on my guitar. Happy birthday, too!

Chris Vandiver
02-21-2012, 9:45 AM
Stunning work George. And you're so young in the photo!

john brenton
02-21-2012, 9:51 AM
George, you just blow me away every time I open one of your posts. I wish I had someone near me that I could work with on stuff like this...I'd quit my job today.

george wilson
02-21-2012, 9:59 AM
After thinking about it,I probably was 30 in that picture. I had started that guitar in 1970 while I was still working that first year in private. I was 29 that year. I made the large harpsichord,started the marquetry lute,made a side board for the house,made an "English guitar"(a kind of cittern popular at the time),and made several tools and other items with which to furnish the future shop. Got a lot done that first year.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
After thinking about it,I probably was 30 in that picture.

I wish I had that head of hair at 30.

george wilson
02-23-2012, 8:21 PM
Don't worry,Joshua,that hair started leaving when I was in my 30's. Not fully bald,but pretty thin on top.