PDA

View Full Version : Busy Weekend(gloat)

Chris Lee
03-21-2005, 7:59 AM
I spent my weekend driving to PA and back to pick up my new Yorkcraft 8" Jointer. While it is no DJ-20, I have to say that it really is a nice jointer after setting it up and running a few boards through it. The wood came out flat, that is all I can ask!

I also managed to stop along the way home and pick up a new(used)bandsaw from fellow creeker Dave Brandt. While it is old and nothing fancy, the price was right. I have been looking for a larger capacity bandsaw for cutting bowl blanks and money kept getting in the way. Dave gave me a great price on this grizzly and he has already added most of the accessories I would have added(riser, cool blocks, new tires, link belt).

Please ignore the mess in the shop. I am in the process of converting my 22x22 garage into a shop, so there is stuff everywhere. First project of the spring is a shed to put all that junk in.

Chris

Jeff Sudmeier
03-21-2005, 8:21 AM
Chris,

Congrats on the two new additions, they look great!

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 8:54 AM
Good haul, Chris!! Good additions to your shop, especially the jointer...a tool I believe in... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2005, 8:58 AM
Great additions to your shop Chris!

Greg Narozniak
03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Chris,

Glad to meet you while I was at Wilke on Saturday picking up my jointer as well. :p

You beat me in setting it up (Hence the no pics yet) mine is about 85% together, pics to follow.

Enjoy the jointer and I am glad the BS purchase worked out. That should be a seperate gloat in itself knowing what you paid for it :eek:

Greg

David Fried
03-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Nice tools! One of the pluses to buying used is getting all the add-ons the previous owner bought - nice find! If you really feel bad about the mess in your shop I'll send you a picture of mine - you'll feel much better!

John Miliunas
03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Way to go, Chris! Yorkcraft certainly appears to be a very cost-effective OEM, allowing many to get decent equipment at a fair price. And, with Wilke doing the distributing/customer service, you can't hardly go wrong!:) Yeah, and I don't know where I'd be without my bandsaw! Very handy indeed. Enjoy both!:) :cool:

Chris Lee
03-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Greg,

It was nice to meet you as well. I hope you printed out the directions for the Delta version. The directions are obviosly the same pictures but about half are missing from the Yorkcraft manual.:eek: It is quite amusing when you put the two manuals side by side, but if that is where they want to cut corners I am ok with that!

Actually it went together pretty easy. I had it all planned out. I was going to assemble the stand, take everything out of the box the beds were in and then get a friend to help me slide the beds off of the tailgat and onto the stand. Great plan until I noticed that the beds were packed face down. So I got another buddy and two of us held the beds while the other guy turned it over. And there is nothing like cutting the power cord off a brand new tool. I have not hooked up 220 yet so I rewired the motor to 110. I will hopefully get 220 service before the summer is over.

Dave - I actually wheeled all the tools around to that side of the shop because it is the clean side!:D

Thanks for the comments all,

Chris

lou sansone
03-21-2005, 6:56 PM
nice equipment, how about some pictures of the shop

lou

Corey Hallagan
03-21-2005, 9:31 PM
Great looking equipment! Congrats and enjoy!

Corey

Dave Brandt
03-26-2005, 9:23 PM
Chris,

Glad you made it home OK. That was quite a load your truck had last week! Hope you had some help unloading too! Hope you get good use from you new tools. Everytime I walk into my shop, I do a double-take at the gaping hole the BS used to occupy. Enjoy, Dave