PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts??

Charity Newland
02-20-2012, 2:23 PM
I have a customer who's want a trophy somewhat like this and its a bit out of my skill level to say the lest. So any help would be great.

Dave Gates
02-20-2012, 3:42 PM
You can get the columns and bases from any trophy supplier (JDS/PDU/Freeman). For the middle, it looks like you could just engrave a piece of clear acrylic. For the top, you could get several pieces of acrylic, engrave/cut and glue them together.

Martin Boekers
02-20-2012, 3:46 PM
Hi Charity, the only way we get better is by challanging projects!
I have done projects that have created similar effects albeit at
a lower priced product.

Consider the acrylic circle at the top, you can say, cut the acrylic piece and engrave,
then use silver sheet plastic (IPI or Rowmark) many sell it with adhesive on the back
to make it easier. Cut it and engrave on the perimeter then attach it to the acrylic.

The bottom part is acrylic the sides in place between the blue "ballusters" These can be
substitited with trophy column or wood dowels that can be painted. There are many way
to get a "Faux" finish with paints.

Acrylics can be painted also. I stock clear and black plex so with a can of Krylon Fusion
or the Rustoleum equvelant I can creat many things. This looks to be a pretty high-end piece
and probably costs hundreds of dollars.

The main thing with pieces such as this is that you need to be able to cut .25" plex to beable
to finish a reasonble quality and priced piece.

If you ad the equipment and software you use to your signature block it helps us to guide
the answers.

I would find out what see expects to spend first as she may think this is a $50-$70 piece.

Hope this helps.

Marty

Charity Newland
02-20-2012, 7:03 PM
Thanks guys! It's the top that had me stumped doing 2 layers of acrylic could work with the silver instead of the metal ring.
Wouldn't thought of that....So much to learn, what kinda price range should I be for something like that?
thanks again,
Charity

Mark Sipes
02-20-2012, 7:12 PM
Nothing less than $125-150

Martin Boekers
02-20-2012, 8:19 PM
I am guessing you would have about $50 in materials, (at that size) and 2-3 hours of time
depending upon how quickly you work. So I would start at least at $150.00.

It may take a bit longer, but this is the first one so you'll learn quite a bit!

If you run into any issues feel free to PM me.