PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Wax

Jon McElwain
02-20-2012, 2:18 PM
Time for a new can! Anyone have a lowest cost source for Renaissance Wax?

Harvey Ghesser
02-20-2012, 2:33 PM
Jon, I bought a small can of it almost three years ago, used it on most everything I've turned including lathe bed and I still have more than half a can left. Packard usually has good prices on stuff like that.

Tim Rinehart
02-20-2012, 3:39 PM
Jon,
I suspect shipping this product alone makes the best bet the Woodcraft in Loveland, Co.

Prashun Patel
02-20-2012, 3:44 PM
Lee valley sells conservators wax. It appears to be the same thing as ren wax.

John Keeton
02-20-2012, 3:58 PM
Penn State also has a "look alike". I am quite sure all of these are the same animal - microcrystalline wax polish.

Jim Burr
02-20-2012, 5:36 PM
Do a Google thing and see what pops up

Richard Allen
02-20-2012, 9:46 PM
Not the same at all. Renaissance Wax is much more dense than the other microcrystalline waxes I have used. The idea might be the same but the execution is very different. I agree that a can of Renaissance Wax last for a long time. It is like the less wax you apply the better it works.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2012, 9:54 PM
I bought a can of Ren wax 3 or 4 yrs ago and use it on most everything. Still have a half a can. Doesn't take much at all. I can say that PSI wax and the conservators wax are not the same as Ren Wax.

Jon McElwain
02-21-2012, 1:19 AM
Thanks all. Looks like the best internet price only saves me 50 cents or so over the Woodcraft price. The new owner of the local Woodcraft seems to be a really nice guy, and he has invited our turning club to meet at the store again. Guess I'll go ahead and get it there!

Paul Gallian
02-21-2012, 3:32 AM
Bernie is correct -- not the same and last a long time.. There have been many post that Kiwi shoe polish is the same -- basically the same ingredients but it is not Ren wax.... notice the word basically..

Jake Helmboldt
02-22-2012, 9:16 PM
I've seen lots of raves about Ren Wax. Can some of you share your typical use/application techniques (as well as preferred finish to use with it)? Does it result in high gloss?

Ryan Baker
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I've seen lots of raves about Ren Wax. Can some of you share your typical use/application techniques (as well as preferred finish to use with it)? Does it result in high gloss?

Just wipe a little on your piece and buff it. This works really well if the piece is still on the lathe. You can also do it off the lathe ... wipe some on by hand and buff it with a buffing wheel. I usually use it either directly on the wood, or over an oil finish. I use Ren Wax in place of the carnuba as a second or third step in the Beall buff system. It will not produce a high gloss. You can build some sheen, depending on how much you buff, but it is a softer look. Another important tidbit is that Ren wax doesn't show water spots like carnuba does.

Bill Hensley
02-24-2012, 7:36 AM
FYI, sign up for the Woodcraft mailing list and they send out coupons from time to time. I used a $10 coupon to get some Ren Wax.