PDA

View Full Version : A&C End Tables

Jim Rimmer
02-20-2012, 2:14 PM
Finally completed the Arts and Crafts end tables I've been working on for quite awhile. The first photo below shows my inspiration photo from the internet next to one of my finished tables. Second photo is a snap of both tables.

Made from Honduran Mahogany. Finish is brown mahogany dye/DNA, then a coat of Seal-A-Coat and multiple coats of Arm-R-Seal varnish. Each table has 50 mortise and tenon joints. Many would have installed the side slats in a groove with spacers in between but I made separate M&Ts for each slat. I saw the inspiration photo in the web and was able to track down the guy that built it and asked for some info. Very congenial fellow but basically told me it was A&C, make it however i wanted. So I drew up my own plans, made a prototype from pallet wood, tweaked some dimensions and made these two. After the wood was selected I started making videos of the project; those are on YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/user/RimmerJim?feature=mhee for My Channel). I messed up on the numbering but I think you can figure it out. I also started tracking my time and have roughly 80 hours in the two tables.

Things I learned:
1. I probably would have made the top thicker, 1 1/4 maybe.
2. Buy your drawer slides before you make the drawer box. I ended up making a bottom mount sliding dovetail drawer slide.
3. If you are making 1/2" tenons, make 9/16" mortises.
4. Foam brushes hold a lot of dye!

This looks like a simple table but it is a very challenging project. I enjoyed and I think my wife will enjoy it for a long time.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff Monson
02-20-2012, 2:17 PM
Looks really nice Jim, I think the top tickness looks fine. I also like that you left out the "backsplash?" on your table. Well done!!

Jim Rimmer
02-20-2012, 3:06 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I left that off because we are going to used these as bedside tables with lamps on them. The cord would look unsightly going up over the "backsplash" (good name for it; I didn't know what to call it) or around the end of it.