PDA

View Full Version : Updates on General Finishes Woodturner's Finish?

Jim Howe
02-20-2012, 2:11 PM
I have been lurking for awhile, but time behind lathe= Raw newbie ;-)
Anyway, was trying to get the hang of a CA finish on pens, before I got anywhere close to a good finish I realized I am getting very sensitive to the CA, even with a DC vented to the outside.
So, the General Finishes Woodturner's Finish looks promising but wanted to see if anyone has any more information on how it holds up.

Roger Chandler
02-20-2012, 2:16 PM
I just began using it a couple of months ago.....have used it on 2 projects..............I like the way it applies on the lathe and also the quick drying aspect of it.........long term, it is my guess it would be about like a water based poly, as that is what it essentially is with extra drying agents in it.

I have used water based poly on furniture, and it has held up well............I made a couple of bedside tables for our master bedroom about 8 years ago, and used Minwax poly, and they still look new. Not sure how that would work for a pen used daily, but I think it would be okay.

Jim Howe
02-20-2012, 8:15 PM
Thanks Roger! I will give it a try.

Rob Price
02-20-2012, 8:29 PM
Bernie has used it on a bunch of pens, I sent him a PM a few months ago and he's had pretty good luck with it. I've used it on a few pens and on some cake pedstals. I find it more forgiving than CA and much less smelly. It polishes up to a very nice feel with micromesh and polish. I can't say anything about durability. It definitely doesn't have the depth of oil/lacquer finishes though.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2012, 9:52 PM
I have used it on several pieces now. I have did several pens that are being used daily and it has held up well. I also have a salad/cereal bowl I finished with it. I have used it almost every day now for about 4 months. It still has the nice shine to it. Wash it with warm soapy rag, rinse and dry with a paper towel. Going to just keep on using it to see how it holds up. They told me it would hold up as good if not better than the GF that they use on wood floors so should be tough. Using a hair dryer on low heat about 8 to 10 inches away after putting on a coat dries it quickly. Put 6 coats on a pen using a piece of old T-shirt in 30 to 35 minutes. I like it better than lacquer on mini birdhouses and ornaments also. After the first coat you need to sand with 320 or 400 grit as it does raise the grain. After that I just apply 3 coats then use steel wool 0000 and then apply 3 more coats. I have never seen the need to buff it so far.

George Morris
02-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I have used it on a bunch of maple bowls. Does not color the wood as oil would. Shiny finishBuffs well. I will keep using it for some woods. I have used Antique oil most of the time and love the finish.
I have also started to use Walnut Oil on a lot of my bowls. Satin finish,rich look,I like it!
Hope this helps! G

Jim Howe
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you all for the very helpful replies.
Bernie, thanks for the report on durability so far.
Looks like I will be giving the Woodturner's Finish a try.