PDA

View Full Version : Purple TruStone Pen and Tutorial

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 1:14 PM
I've made several TruStone pens before, but this was the first time working with this purple version.

It's pretty brittle, so it was slow going, with very light cuts with sharp carbide tools.

It was a commission from my bride's co-worker, so it's nice to have it completed.

I documented photos of the step-by-step making of this pen, hopefully I'll find some time to put the photos into a short video so those who might like to try this can see how it's done.

Also, this is the first time I've tried using a rather unusual photographic setup/background suitable for small items... more to come on that later.

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 1:17 PM
The pen actually has more slightly more red and less blue than in the photo... it's a very subtle purple on purple, fairly low contrast blank.
I may tweak the colors a bit more, but I think folk will get the idea.

Tim Rinehart
02-20-2012, 1:50 PM
Very classy look. I look forward to the tutorial, wasn't aware of special precautions and techniques to avoid issues...but seems reasonable given how brittle and hard it must be.

Mark Hubl
02-20-2012, 2:23 PM
Another wonderful pen Alan.

The photo setup is way cool as well, I am guessing some colored/tinted glass with an under light. Works well, like the reflections. This technique highlights the pen quite nicely.

Thomas Hamilton
02-20-2012, 2:28 PM
That's a very nice pen, good job.

I'd like to know more about the photo set-up.

Can you share how you did that?

Thanks - Tom

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 3:03 PM
Here's the setup.

I am using software on my iPad called Photo Soft Box Pro HD. It's generally used to configure an iPad as a photographic light source (by displaying various images or patterns, e.g., a divided window)

I decided to use it as a background, and display a bright spot under the pen. The software lets you change all the parameters of the underlying image... size, position, rotation, color, brightness, etc.

One cool thing is that there is a companion app for the iPhone (Photo Soft Box Pro Remote)... and via bluetooth, the iPhone controls the iPad app, so I could change color, intensity, etc without touching the iPad screen.

Cool, eh?

The iPad was placed in a photo tent. There was one fluorescent light shining through the left side of the tent. A white reflector on the right, next to the iPad. A black board was angled above the iPad so the screen reflected the black card.

The reason the color of the pen is not quite right in my first attempt was that I was experimenting with the color temperature of the spot displayed on the iPad. I needed to make it cooler so I could up the red in the pen without the spot going red.

So, this setup is really only suitable to small items, but it suits my style (I like using reflective backgrounds anyway).

What do you think?

Donny Lawson
02-20-2012, 4:28 PM
Excellent looking pen Alan. Looking foward to a tutorial.

Harvey Ghesser
02-20-2012, 4:35 PM
Great looking pen and a terrific setup, Alan...ya learn something new every day.

Jim Burr
02-20-2012, 5:29 PM
Photos are bomb!!! And I hate turning Tru stone Alan!!! Ya done sweet!! Did you put his in the IAP 8th Anniversary whole thingamabob? Should be in the casting comp...move on it and well done!

John Keeton
02-20-2012, 5:34 PM
Alan, as you know, I am not a penturner, but the pics are awesome!!!! Nice work on the pen, too.

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 5:36 PM
Jim,

I'm not into competitions. I might put the photos in the IAP SOYP sections.

I should have the tutorial shortly, the video is rendering now....

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 5:38 PM
John,

There was a time when you weren't a turner either.

Maybe you should make a pen "on a steeeek" < vbg >

Alan Zenreich
02-20-2012, 6:11 PM
And here's my first pass at a video tutorial for this project

I did not add any sound, figuring that it was going to be started and stopped a lot if people want to inspect any steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igf1HG0x1-Y

Enjoy!

James Combs
02-20-2012, 9:13 PM
Alan with all that went into making that pen, its no wonder that it looks so good. An excellent tutorial BTW. There were some things in it that I may have to try my self.

Bernie Weishapl
02-20-2012, 9:42 PM
Classy and elegant Alan.

Dick Rowe
02-21-2012, 4:05 AM
Great video!! I learned a bunch of new techniques that will make my pen turning life easier in the future.

Alan Zenreich
02-21-2012, 8:47 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.

There are a lot of techniques demonstrated in the video.
Some are very familiar, some not so obvious.

So I'm curious

What little tidbits did you pick up from the tutorial?
How do my tools and techniques differ from your current procedures?
Let's chat about the many paths to the same destination... and the choices that lead us down those paths

Heather Thompson
02-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Alan,

Thank you for this thread and posting the video, I turned my first pen last Sunday at the Milwaukee woodworking show and had a great time doing it, will not be my last pen for sure.

Heather

Alan Zenreich
02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh Heather... now you're hooked <s>

I turned my first pen at a woodworking show in Somerset NJ a few years ago.

I'll be demonstrating offset/eccentric pendant (jewelry) woodturning at the Somerset show this coming Saturday at the Hudson Valley Woodturners' booth. We're generally locate right across from the Crafts Supplies USA booth, so I get to watch folk turn pens all day.