PDA

View Full Version : Ink Jet Printable metal sheets

Martin Boekers
02-20-2012, 11:49 AM
I am not sure if this has been addressed here or not. Has anyone used this material?
Seems to be more stable than dye-sub so I may be interested in trying it out.

http://www.horizonsisg.com/alumajet.html

It looks like they will provide samples, so I might get some ordered. It will be
a few weeks before I get a chance to try it out (taking some time off to head to Jupiter
Florida for the St. Louis Cardinals Spring Training...anyone close to there? May have some
time for a visit):D

Marty

Mike Null
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Marty

That material and process has been around for quite a long time. Before you order it make sure your printer is compatible with the material. It needs to feed straight through without going around a roller.

ps: say hello to Albert:rolleyes:

Martin Boekers
02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
I think it should work with my Epson, it's not straight through, but it's not a complete
turn either. It shows a similar turn will work, but only with the thinnest sheets. I'll
probably get some samples and see. With doing more and more signage I'd like something
a little more stable than dye-sub. I aready have some work I can bid on for this so getting
a new printer is a possibility also.

Poor Albert....I think his camp is out in Arizona. We'll be mainly focused on the Cards camp,
but probably hit 2or 3 others. Last year we visited the Mets camp and got to meet Sandy Koufax
pretty cool to see my "Era" guys!

I keep telling them at the shop, I just might find myself a hut on the beach and stay down there!

Tony Lenkic
02-20-2012, 2:31 PM
Martin,

This process requires laminating of finished plate for added protection since the ink can be removed (smudged) with many cleaners.

Dee Gallo
02-20-2012, 2:42 PM
Looks interesting, thanks for posting Marty. I've ordered some samples, we shall see what it's like! I have a straight feed inkjet that I use for decals and such, this should be perfect for that.

Martin Boekers
02-20-2012, 3:31 PM
Martin,

This process requires laminating of finished plate for added protection since the ink can be removed (smudged) with many cleaners.

Does this have to be laminated or do they suggest it? I see they are using a small craft type laminater
Xyron Pro 1255 which is available for under $400. (laminate is under $.80 a Sq Ft) Actually I have thought
about getting a cold mount system for a while.

I guess the inks may not stick to the metal as they do to vinyl. I run a pigment ink printer and have
washed the shirts I have transfered to 20 or so times with no failure. These metal sheets may be different.

Maybe the heat from the press stabilizes the inks?

I am alway looking to improve the quality and stability of the product I sell. And always on the lookout
to find things for signage as I am really working to improve sales in that area.

Thanks for you input!

Marty

Tony Lenkic
02-20-2012, 9:18 PM
I've been told by local distributor that laminating is required.
If you are already looking for laminator for other application look at Drytac JetMounter 18" (hot/cold) or JetMounter 26".
Amazon has best price I've seen for 18.25" (699.00). 26" is just under 1k

Martin Boekers
02-21-2012, 1:30 PM
Thanks Tony for the info, I still will get some samples to play with. A spray coat may or may not work
we'll see. I have access to a large vacuum heat press and laminater, don't really want to deal with that.

I don't have a lot of work to justify a "real laminater" but there are quite a few like Xyron out there for
a couple hundred bucks. These will be fine for some of the "unusual and quircky" jobs I get from time
to time that other shops don't want to mess with. I have developed a reputation of figuring out how
to make something work. Sometimes that's good :) and sometimes that's bad :(

Chuck Stone
02-21-2012, 8:25 PM
If you've got a straight pass-thru printer, you can pick up some 'digital ground' at
an art supply store and spray regular sheet metal with it. Then put it through the
printer.
You need a straight pass thru, though.. no turns, no pizza wheels. And your
printer must be able to handle the thickness. Some have adjustable platens
to accommodate thicker materials. And you might need to cut out an oversized
sheet of material to act as a 'carrier sheet' to pass it through the printer.
You'll probably want to build your own color profiles, too. But it's a neat
effect.