PDA

View Full Version : Planer & Joiner

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Well came into some good fortune yesterday. The neighbor is in the middle of a divorce. I was over at his place helping him move some of his stuff. He ask me if I wanted to buy a planer and joiner. I told him I couldn't afford much right now because I was saving for each but would like to see it. It was a new Delta TP-305 12 1/2" planer and a new Sears table top 6 1/8" jointer and was all cast. It weighs about 102 lbs. He told me I could have both for $250. I found out the Sears jointer is $249. He told me the first guy to give him $250 it was gone. So I wrote him a check and have 2 new play toys. I know they aren't the big ones but for me and my small 12 X 20 shop they will be fine. I build clocks and small furniture so this will help when buying lumber. I got them both out today, set up and run some oak thru them. The planer has a slight bit of snipe at the very beginning but fine the rest of the way. I found out I can get around that by putting a piece of scrape lumber in front of the board I am planing. It works well. So I am excited now about get some rough lumber and making some clocks. Oh and now the lovely wife says you did make a good deal dear and now you don't have an excuse for not making my china cabinet.

Bernie

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Bernie, congrats on the new jointer & planer - be sure to post some pictures of those clocks when you get 'em done! :)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Bernie, Congrats on the jointer and planer. I have the same jointer as you. It is an okay machine, it gets the job done.

Those two machines will be two good additions to your shop!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys. I think they will work for what I need. I tried the joiner out tonight and it does a good job. I will post pictures of clocks as I make them. I have always followed what my grandfather had told me as a kid. He told me it is not what you have for tools but if you can use them. Hopefully I can make him proud. I am attaching a couple of clocks I have built. Nothing out of the ordinary. With my job I don't get much time to build but do it when I get time. I am in the process of building a grandfather clock that I will post when finished and hopefully soon as I started it in October. These clocks are not kits. They are all cut and built from scratch. I do use other clocks for ideas. Anyway I have learned a lot in the few weeks I have been on here and hope to learn more. By the way I got rid of my PVC air lines and went to K type copper.

Bernie

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Those are very nice clocks Bernie, did you do the brass work on the second one also?

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Yes I did Bruce. It took me a little while to do it. I have a friend that has a milling machine that I did most of it on. I have three lathes in my clock repair shop. Two are 8 MM jewelers lathes and a Taig. I just got the milling attachment for the Taig so hopefully I can start doing my own milling. Anyway with my fulltime job, my clock repair shop and trying to do wood working there is not enough hours in the day. I am going to retire in 4 yrs or so. I want to build clocks and repair them. Clocks and wood working are my passion.

Bernie

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 11:32 PM
Very nice! I do some metal working myself.

I spent a couple of summer vacations in my mom's hometown of Marysville, a little to the east of you. I have many fond memories of those good times!

Bernie Weishapl
03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
I do quite a bit of metal working with clocks. I make gears, arbor's, and any other part I can for clock movements because most of the antique clocks you can't just buy new parts for them. I am hoping with the milling attachment for my Taig lathe I can do more and send out less to have made.

I know exactly where Marysville is at. I have been a native of kansas all my life. In fact I grew up at Atwood about 60 miles from here. By the way I have a brother and his wife who live in Albuquerque. If I get down there to visit I will give you a holler. I always like visiting other shops. My son lives in Virginia and I have visited several clock shops down there.

Bernie

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
I've hobbed a few gear sets in my time too. I'd love to have you over if you get out this way.

Bernie Weishapl
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks Bruce. It would be nice to visit.