PDA

View Full Version : Leigh, about your toothing blade....

Jack Curtis
02-20-2012, 7:52 AM
Leigh, do you think you could make a tapered toothing blade, tiny at the edge tapered to 1/4" or so at the top? Of course, if you could laminate (soft iron on top, hard tool steel on the bevel side) it that would be extra cool. :)

Jack, who tried to search for the thread in which you talked about your blade, but stupid search let me down again

Leigh Betsch
02-20-2012, 8:15 AM
I'm not sure I follow your description, are you saying the thickness or the width would taper? Either one sounds possible to machine, stability in heat treating would be a problem, probably wire edm after the blank was hardened. So possible but I don't have access to that type of equipment any longer, but I don't see how it would work?

Jack Curtis
02-20-2012, 8:53 PM
I was thinking of a toothed blade shaped just like Japanese blades. Somehow or other the Japanese smiths heat treat their blades, and there are enough advantages to make it worth a query.

Leigh Betsch
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I think Japanese blade makers do their work in a forge more like a blacksmith. That's a metal working skill that I have never learned.