PDA

View Full Version : Is a Rikon 10-305 Realistic for Me?

Ty Williams
02-20-2012, 5:03 AM
Let me preface this by saying that the last time I had an actual workshop in which to work, I was spoiled by having a 24" 240V bandsaw that would cut anything. Well, now I don't have a shop. I have a space that I share with my wife among about a dozen different uses. The upshot of this is that every single tool now has to be a benchtop tool, it has to be portable, and I have to be able to move it by myself at the end of each working session so that I can store it and then clean up completely. The consequence of that is that I can't really do anything bigger than a 10" bandsaw since there's about a 100lb jump between a 10" and a 12". In fact, the 10" models are pretty much pushing the limit of what I can pick up (60-ish pounds) because of an injury to my back.

So, confining my search just to bandsaws I can pick up safely, the cream of the crop looks to be the Rikon 10-305 10" model. I've read all the threads about it on this forum and others and the impressions seem generally positive. What I need now is some advice as to wither it's a realistic tool for me. If it will do what I need it to do (with me being realistic about that), it's at a price I can swing. However, if it won't do most of what I want to do, there's no point spending the money on it at all. Here's the kinds of things I want to do:

Rip woods like oak and maple into small rails for the Mission-style furniture everyone and their dog is asking me to build (I don't have room for a tablesaw)
Cut through basically any 19mm sheet good I throw at it
Cut through most woods in a 2-3" slab (making the outside of router-made bowls)
Cut through a 3.5-4" piece of Jatoba (or similar density wood) to make gentle curves (I like to make Krenov-style planes)
Resaw non-insane (no Cocobolo) woods up to the resaw limit of the saw (also assuming a very good blade in good condition)

Is that a realistic set of goals for a Rikon 10-305?

glenn bradley
02-20-2012, 6:59 AM
Your situation is challenging but, that could make the results more fun. The Rikon 10" is a neat little saw. I do get more than I expect from my 10" Rockwell/Delta with a 1/3HP induction motor. I do occasionally cut 1-1/2" stock on it with a 6 TPI blade, . . . slowly. Cutting bowl blanks or anything pushing the 3" to 4" height would be quite a challenge to the saw and to my patience ;-) Equipping the saw with a 2 or 3 TPI blade which would cut faster/rougher could make the thicker stock cutting more realistic(?). I believe we have a few owners on here so wait to hear what they have to say. My small saw is similarly powered and not as refined. I would have to say your list of things you want to do would be unrealistic as a normal workload for my saw. HTH

Bernie May
02-20-2012, 7:50 AM
I have this saw as a backup to my 14" Rikon. I use if for small intricate cuts, but have done 2" purpleheart (a clock). I think you may be trying to push the saw a little beyond its capacity. If you do this, buy good blades and lots of them.

Bill White
02-20-2012, 9:31 AM
And don't try to add the really wide blades like so many try. I have lived with an 11" Magna for many years. I don't try to resaw phone poles, but that little feller has cut a bunch of wood, and has done it well. Live within the capabilities and ya should be ok.
Bill

Mike Wilkins
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
I have that same machine as a backup to my Laguna LT18. Got some use this weekend for some small stuff, and promptly broke the blade. I had been using a 1/8" blade and pushing it a little too hard. My bad. Great little machine for scrolly stuff and small things, but don't expect it to do what a larger machine can do. I would recommend a 1/4" blade in the 6 tooth per inch range for a great all-around machine.

Jamie Buxton
02-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Look into the Inca 340. It is no longer in production, but you can occasionally see them used. Inca made precision lightweight machines. Folks who have them swear by them.

Pic at the bottom of this page...http://www.toshen.com/woodworking-reviews02-01.htm

Van Huskey
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I was planning to mention the Inca but Jamie beat me to it. Of the new light weight saws, I can't think of one better then the Rikon, though based on what you plan to do with it you are going to have to be creative since you will really be pushing that little saw.

Bill ThompsonNM
02-21-2012, 12:19 AM
We've had quite a few sales of that Inca bandsaw on the yahoo inca machines group lately. I have one of their saws and it is probably lighter than the Rikon, but it would definitely do all that you asked for.

shane lyall
02-21-2012, 2:21 AM
You may be pushing it a little with the thick stock but you will just have to use a good (read sharp) blade and it should do ok. I have a little Delta 10 inch with a 1/2 horse motor IIRC. I keep it set up with a 3/16 blade so I don't have to mess with the set-up on my Delta 14. It sees a lot of scroll type work in thin stock and making patterns for the router table/shaper in hardboard. I've never tried re-sawing on it but that little saw is perfect for small stuff. I don't own a Rikon but do hear a lot of good things about them.