PDA

View Full Version : Rockler router lift FX

Michael Mayo
02-20-2012, 1:13 AM
Is this lift of any worth? I am looking to get a lift to use with a roter table i am going to make with the Corian i just received and i got an email from Rockler with a $50 off coupon for the Rockler Router lift FX. Or should i just wait and get a Woodpeckers with Sidewinder?

glenn bradley
02-20-2012, 7:13 AM
The Router FX is a nice little unit but, comparing it to the PRL is unfair. A $150 lift will not be a $350 lift. Otherwise no one would buy the $300 lift and many, many people do ;-) The FX is ruggedly built but the PRL is just plain massive. The suitablilty of the FX for your use will depend somewhat on the router you plan to use and what you pan to do with it.

Ellen Lewis
02-20-2012, 7:44 AM
I have/had both. I used the Rockler for a couple of years with minimal problems. Then I saw the Woodpecker unit... and fell in love with the design and heft of it. I do mostly hobby stuff and the Rockler is a fine unit. The price is right and you probably can sell it down the road if you decide it is not what you are looking for. The difference is weight, precision and ease of use. Also... Rockler has a way of making their tools so that you cannot just replace the Rockler with another brand. The opening is unique to Rockler. So, if you do get another lift in a few years, you'll need to change the size of the opening.

Bill Huber
02-20-2012, 9:15 AM
That is a Jessem lift only in blue and not red. I had the Jessem one with a Bosch 1617 router and loved it. I never had a problem with it and it worked very well. I did get the new the Mast-R-Lift II only because I am planning on getting a 3 hp router and the FX will not take the larger router.
I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Michael Mayo
02-20-2012, 9:56 AM
Ease of use is what I was mostly looking for and all the comments have made me decide to wait and get the Woodpeckers unit. I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK with both the bases I picked up for a song and really like the router but not having a good table with a lift is limiting my ability to do some things quickly and easily. I got a POS HF router top from a guy as i had nothing and figured it would tide me over till I could afford a good table but that was $25 bucks down the drain what a waste of time and money. I have a huge piece of Corian I just received from some friends of ours that is destined to become a nice router top. It is plain Jane white cCorian bt i really like that for this application and man is that stuff heavy.

Ellen Benkin
02-20-2012, 6:03 PM
I have had the Rockler version of the Jessem for several years. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I have no idea why anyone would spend more money on a "heftier" lift unless it had something like remote control and digital readouts.

Dan Rude
02-20-2012, 11:01 PM
I've had the Rockler FX in the previous model for a couple years. I picked it up for $40 on closeout at Rockler. That being said it has done everything I have needed to do and very easy to adjust for a novice table user. Which I am. So it is a great starter, If I upgrade, I know I can get something for it. If you have the money, go for the larger model though.

Dan