PDA

View Full Version : Euro Concealed Hinges

Brent Romero
02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I am replacing some vanity doors with new doors and I want to install the euro style hinge. The cab builder bored the holes for me. I am replacing doors with the older style hinges that screw into the face frame. The face frame extends slightly inward into the opening. I would also like to do a soft close type hinge.

What type of hinge should I use?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Nick Lazz
02-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Blum hinges in either compact or clip top. The clip top style requires a mounting plate but you can either order the hinges with Blumotion or add it on. The 120 degree hinges are pretty standard. The compact style does not require a mounting plate and will mount on the edge of the face frame. If any are flush with the inside they won't work. With these types of hinges you will have to use a cabinet mount style Blumotion device. There are a couple styles to choose from.
Anyway, if you go to the Blum site there are planning tools that help you pick the right hinge and mounting plate.

If your cab builder already bored the holes, he likely had a hinge in mind as the bore distance matters for the type of hinge and the overlay. You might ask him, but I am sure a Blum hinge will work and you will always be able to add the Blumotion at any time, regardless of the hinge you use.

Nick

Bill White
02-20-2012, 9:41 AM
+1 on the Blum. Good stuff, and adjustable for a good fit. There are a bunch of good brands out there, but I most often used Blum.
Bill

Robert Chapman
02-20-2012, 9:16 PM
+2 on Blum products. They are carefully engineered, very user friendly and easy to install if you carefully follow instructions. They are not cheap.

Sam Murdoch
02-20-2012, 9:57 PM
Cheap enough value, for the ease of install and range of adjustability + 3 on Blum!

Brent Romero
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Spoke to Blum today and received some very knowledgeable advice. Ordering the hinges tomorrow from Rockler.

Thanks guys.

Rich Engelhardt
02-21-2012, 8:26 AM
+4 for Blum.

Unless you enjoy having to go back every other week to tighten the screws....
If that holds any appeal to you, then you can pick up the cheap knock offs at Home Depot.