PDA

View Full Version : Turning trade gloat!!!

Scott Hackler
02-19-2012, 9:28 PM
Here a while back I was solicited to trace pieces with Kelly Dunn from Hawaii. Kelly is a great turner and I jumped at the chance to exchange pieces with him. Out of his work, I selected one of his signature Norfolk Island Pine bowls. He turns these really really thin and soaks them in oil and when they are finished they are super translucent and light weight. The really weird thing it that the bowl almost feels plastic!! Here is the piece I got in our trade....

I also was able to trade pieces with Paul Hedman. Paul has a unique style to the majority of his work where he turns a hollow form with one or more offset necks and deeply carves swirling patterns before sand blasting. For a texture fan, these are the coolest thing. Here is the piece I got in our trade....

Rick Markham
02-19-2012, 9:40 PM
Wow, those are super cool!!! I'm glad to see folks are trading work, nothing compares to being able to examine another turner's work first hand, and appreciate the work ;)

Paul's piece kinda blows my mind, I can't fully wrap my brain around it. I like it!

Brian McInturff
02-19-2012, 9:50 PM
You got some "true" treasures there Scott. I love the NIP piece.

Tim Rinehart
02-19-2012, 9:57 PM
Both of these pieces is outstanding, and a great treat to have well done examples of their work of your own. I'm sure they got something super in return as well...perhaps something with lots of air? One thing about your work Scott...shipping costs are always going to be reasonable where weight is concerned!

Deane Allinson
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
killer pieces. everybody is happy in good trades.
Deane

mike ash
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
I like what you received in trade, but how about pics of the creations you traded????

Scott Hackler
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Mike, you all have already seen the pieces of the pieces of mine that I traded. Kelly Dunn received my "Delicate Distraction" black ash burl goblet. Paul Hedman received my "Snow Covered Sissoo", HF with finial.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Very cool Scott!

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Very cool Scott! Those are some awesome pieces.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Scott,
What a great way to begin a collection of good wood art. You never know who's work might become very valuable some day. Maybe yours!!!
faust

David E Keller
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
That's cool, Scott! I'd be lying if I didn't admit to a bit of envy!

Scott Hackler
02-20-2012, 3:33 PM
That's cool, Scott! I'd be lying if I didn't admit to a bit of envy!

I could say the same thing about your recent addition to your collection! (of course ole so and so already called me, so nanny nanny boo boo, we're doing a trade too!) I just have to work up something extra special for that upcoming trade and even with my best...it won't be even.

-----

I have been wanting to start a small (for now) collection of some of the turners I admire, for a couple reasons. 1st because of my admiration of their work and 2) to allow folks at my turning club experience pieces from those turners. Most of members of my club haven't or won't ever attend a symposium to see this stuff, so it brings the inspiration to them. I brought these two pieces to my meeting on Saturday and there were several people who remarked about the pieces and that they were sure glad to have seen and held them. That alone made me feel good and really makes the trade worth it (let alone my personal joy of owning them).

George Morris
02-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Very good idea, I love to se others work in person. Trading is a great idea! G

John Keeton
02-21-2012, 7:02 AM
Scott, those trades would certainly be an honor - you did good! On the other hand, I think the other guys did well, too.