PDA

View Full Version : Back in the twist of things

Scott Hackler
02-19-2012, 9:19 PM
On Friday night I turned my lathe on for the first time in over two months following my carpal tunnel surgery and several non-turning activities. My turning club was meeting the next day and we had a challege to turn and bring an end grain goblet. No big deal huh? Well not being able to control the pent up creative juices, I took what should have been a 30-45 minute project and morphed it into a 2 1/2 hour goblet. (And my hand was hurting at the end!) Definite influence and admiration of Paul Hedman's work in this piece.Elm. 6 1/2" tall, turned, carved, sandblasted and danish oil. Comments and critques are always welcome.

Tim Rinehart
02-19-2012, 9:23 PM
Oh my...you jumped in with both feet!
Very nice work, welcome back Scott!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-19-2012, 9:24 PM
Well Scott that is a beauty. I do like the twist on it. I am going to have to find somebody in town that can sandblast a piece for me. Good to see ya back in the saddle again.

David DeCristoforo
02-19-2012, 9:26 PM
That is a fascinating goblet. Can't think of any other word that would better sum it up for me...

Rick Markham
02-19-2012, 9:44 PM
That's just "twisted"! I really like it Scott, I especially love how the base appears nearly fluid. Should be interesting to see where you go with this.

hehe, your 45min goblet turned 2 1/2 hour goblet would have taken me over a week to make. So I think your ahead of the game!

I'm glad to hear you're healing well from the surgery, Don't push yourself too hard! ;) don't want to have to go through all of that again. :)

John Keeton
02-19-2012, 9:51 PM
Scott, that certainly is outside the box! Again, probably not the type of thing to be doing after the CT surgery AND the drywall work. You realize, I guess, that a "redux" on the surgery is not really a good option?!?!?

That said, while this type of thing isn't my cup of tea, it is well executed.

Eric Gourieux
02-19-2012, 10:44 PM
That's a crazy goblet, Scott. Welcome back to the vortex.

Dick Mahany
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Scott,

Welcome back. Obviously the surgery was succesful. I look forward to your future endeavors.

Baxter Smith
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Welcome back Scott! Hope you didn't overdo it, you might want to do some more drywall soon!

Greg Just
02-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Very nice Scott. Glad to see your back at the lathe again.

Kathy Marshall
02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Welcome back to turning Scott! Cool goblet! Love the swirl on the base.

BILL DONAHUE
02-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Fantastic! Can't even begin to figure out how you did it.

Marty Eargle
02-20-2012, 2:26 AM
Glad to see you back turner, Scott! Very rustic yet "artistic" looking goblet. The stem looks especially nice.

Hopefully this project gave you a decent gauge on how far you'll be able to push yourself in the near future without going overboard. Good stuff!

Bill Hensley
02-20-2012, 8:21 AM
Very cool! You must have been spent after releasing all those pent-up creative juices!

Doug W Swanson
02-20-2012, 9:08 AM
Nice to see you back, Scott. Very rustic looking and very nice!

Harvey Ghesser
02-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Welcome back, Scott. Don't push it too hard. DAMHIKT...

Russell Eaton
02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
What a way to make a comeback. Well done on the goblet, the base rocks.

Bill Wyko
02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Way to go Scott. That's the way to jump back in. A very unique and creative looking goblet.

David E Keller
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Nicely done, Scott! I'm happy to see you getting back in the saddle. I'd imagine the turning was pretty painless, but that carving seems like I might have created some issues with sore hands.

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-20-2012, 1:06 PM
Very Cool piece indeed Scott! The vortex must be strong in your area!

Mark Hubl
02-20-2012, 2:14 PM
Glad you are healin' up. Must make you happy as well.

Nice goblet, I thought of Paul's work as soon as I opened the thread, well done and a lot of work. Great pace though, couple hours is really quick. Keep Twistin!

Scott Hackler
02-20-2012, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. I realize this is no "masterpiece", but rather something goofy, weird and strange (which is what I like to do, just to mix it up).

I do have a couple monster projects in the sketchbook and will need to get them going pretty soon, but these smaller projects are a great "get me by". I had actually forgot how much fun it was to turn a goblet (or anything for that matter!). You folks might be seeing a few more one piece decorated goblets, before I get it out of my system and get on to the big projects again.

:)