PDA

View Full Version : Correct drill size for beall wood tap

Greg Bender
02-19-2012, 5:15 PM
This might not be the spot for this question but figured the turners would know.What size drill bit is the best size to use for a 1 1/4 " wood tap. I'm making some glue blocks and figured I would try tapping a few to see how that might work. Good idea or not?
Greg

Mikail Khan
02-19-2012, 6:01 PM
I believe the drill size is 1 1/8". I use a forstner bit.

MK

Greg Just
02-19-2012, 6:10 PM
yes, 1 1/8 is correct. Just earlier today I tapped a block for a sanding disk.

Steve Vaughan
02-19-2012, 6:55 PM
Thanks for asking that Greg, cause I needed that info too!

Thomas Canfield
02-19-2012, 9:45 PM
I have made a lot of tapped blocks for jamb chucks out of MDF material and use thinned shellac to harden the threads and then retap. I would be cautious about using a tapped block for a glue block becaue of the side loading possibility. Soaking the threads with thin CA or shellac should help provide a cleaner and stronger thread.

Greg Bender
02-23-2012, 3:01 PM
Thanx for the info ,been tied up but I did just order one and will try it out soon. I figure with a 8/4 block of WO ,tapped with soappy water for lube ,it should work out perfectly. I'll true it up after it dry's.
Thanx again,
Greg

Peter Fabricius
02-23-2012, 3:30 PM
Hi Greg;
You will love your Beall tap.... and you do not have to worry about a good 8/4 round of about 4" diameter used as a glue block or for a sanding disk or for a friction plate etc. etc.
I have used mine for many blocks for all kinds of purposes and have never had one split. Putting a little wax in the threads is a good thing.
If you want to cut the thread and then make it look really clean and smooth just put a little CA in the fresh cut thread and retap after the CA dries.
I usually apply either a Walnut Oil / Beeswax / Carnuba mix on my blocks or sometimes use Minwax Tung oil to make it look really nice.
Last time I used one as a glue block it was Cherry and the bowl blank that I held was 14" diameter also Cherry. I had it cored on the glue block and it held just fine.
After the coring it finish turned it and parted off the block. Very nice big salad bowl plus a smaller inner bowl.
Glue blocks are great.
hope you enjoy having them, cut lots of 4x4" by 8/4 and drill them while holding them in the #3 OneWay jaws. Tapping is done using the tailstock live centre to hold the tap perfectly centered while you tap the block with the headstock spindle locked.
Peter F.