PDA

View Full Version : Spray Paint Can Rack

Steve Kohn
02-19-2012, 5:11 PM
I've been working on a lot of smaller painted projects and so have accumulated a bunch of cans of spray finishes. Has anyone built a rack that maximizes storage of the cans or know of where I can find one available commercially? I'd prefer wall mount.

Bill McDermott
02-19-2012, 8:10 PM
Steve,

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy building shop cabinets. Great projects. It's the kind of thing where I like to almost race myself to see how quickly I can cut dovetails, etc..

However, for this use... I second your thought to buy a steel cabinet. They are easy enough to find. Not too expensive and a good place to secure spray cans (and other combustible, nasty things). Just google "steel wall cabinet".

You can get them at Office Supply stores.
The one shown below is $200. 36x30x12.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/52192GN_lg.jpg

Lex Boegen
02-20-2012, 7:41 AM
I've been working on a lot of smaller painted projects and so have accumulated a bunch of cans of spray finishes. Has anyone built a rack that maximizes storage of the cans or know of where I can find one available commercially? I'd prefer wall mount.

I can't remember where I saw it online, but I recently came across a simple project for doing just that--it used dowels to create a shelf for the paint cans, and the paint cans tipped forward about 30 degrees or so, so it was easier to see the color of the top of the can. Each shelf was shallow, so that cans can only be stored one-deep. It looked kinda like this:

You could optionally use one or two dowels as a replacement for the shelf, so that any debris would just fall through.