PDA

View Full Version : pass through drawer

joe milana
02-19-2012, 3:58 PM
Making a small kitchen island (24" x 36") and have a request for "pass through " drawers (accessible from both sides). Can this be done using a slide without notching the drawers as in the attached photo? I'm stumped...:confused:

Richard McComas
02-19-2012, 4:06 PM
I don't know the exact particulars of these slides but Accuride makes a slide for this application. I wouldn't be surprised if Blum has something also.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=acuride+pass+through+drawer+slide#q=accuride+pas s+through+drawer+slide&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=JWNBT7O6H8KoiQLbraWUAQ&ved=0CLMBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a487894bbde455cc&biw=1599&bih=768

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2012, 4:06 PM
Yes, one solution is the Accuride # 0363 two way slide, intended for just such an application. No notch required.

joe milana
02-19-2012, 4:27 PM
Sam, The drawing in my post is right off the 0363 instruction guide. Maybe their intended use is for a drawer behind a door, and I've never liked that concept.

Yes, one solution is the Accuride # 0363 two way slide, intended for just such an application. No notch required.

keith micinski
02-19-2012, 4:39 PM
I was wondering how it would be possible to have a pass through with out a notch.

Bill ThompsonNM
02-19-2012, 7:03 PM
I think your only option is something like nylon glides on the bottom of case containing the drawer for the drawer to slide on. I also installed some little plastic sort of flat conical rollers in a cabinet that the drawer slid on wooden slides. Roughly equivalent to a bearing at 45 degrees to the drawer on each side. Two bearings on each side at 90degrees would work also. ( you would have to have multiple sets of the bearings so the drawer was always on 2 sets).
The point is, support mechanisms like this in some sense still require a notch, but they are so thin that the notch gets lost in the normal clearance around the drawer. Now adding drawer stops, that gets even more complicated..

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2012, 7:12 PM
Sam, The drawing in my post is right off the 0363 instruction guide. Maybe their intended use is for a drawer behind a door, and I've never liked that concept.

Oh so sorry - I was too fast and too casual with my answer and just WRONG ! :o

We have built such cabinetry and I obviously don't remember what drawer slides were used. The drawer faces fit the opening with minimal clearance and passed through without issue. I better think about this more carefully. Again, sorry for the BS answer. Here take a look at this version:http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=865-651&LARGEVIEW=ON , though I'm not certain that they are still available.

Sam

joe milana
02-19-2012, 8:17 PM
Me too Sam, I saw the slides and said "sure' I can do that" before I read the fine print...

Oh so sorry - I was too fast and too casual with my answer and just WRONG ! :o
Sam

Jamie Buxton
02-19-2012, 8:20 PM
I've done a two-way drawer. Exactly because of the problem you describe, I didn't use metal slides. Instead, I built the drawer the old-fashioned way: wood sliding on wood. The usual issue with wood "slides" is that the drawer can't be full-extension. However, in most two-way situations, the drawer turns out to be long enough that full extension isn't really necessary.

The other issue with a two-way drawer is getting it to stop exactly in the middle of the cabinet -- that is, be fully closed when seen from either face. Rare-earth magnets do the trick. Inlay magnets in the sliding surfaces so they form a detent at the closed position. The users can pull the drawer out either direction, but it wants to stop at the detent.

Jim Neeley
02-23-2012, 1:45 AM
I've used Jamie's approach for drawers on a solid oak coffee table my son and I made. We got some of the 0.030"x3" HDPE tape (with adhesive on one side) and mounted it to the bottom drawer guides, trimming it to fit. They work great!

So do the rare earth magnets; we used them too!!

If you have children around, note that they then have no drawer stop to keep them from being pulled all of the way out, where they'd fall on the ground (or toes, or little brothers if they're underneath). <g>

Jim

joe milana
02-23-2012, 2:08 AM
Jamie & Jim, thanks for the good suggestions. However, since these will most likely be frequently used drawers, and heavily loaded, with utensils, cookbooks, etc, I'm mot sure it would make for the most convenient design. You know, would the kids take the time to make sure they're centered (closed) in the opening? Would you be able to bump it closed with a hip? Maybe I should mock one up, I might be surprised.

Jamie Buxton
02-23-2012, 8:30 AM
...If you have children around, note that they then have no drawer stop to keep them from being pulled all of the way out, where they'd fall on the ground (or toes, or little brothers if they're underneath)..

I didn't do it to mine, but it is possible to put an out-stop on wooden drawers. In this case, it would involve something moveable that drops down from above the drawer after the drawer is inserted into the casework -- a twist button, a springy tongue-depressor thing, or the like.